Casper NIC and Casper Imaging

natesimons
New Contributor III

I tried searching the discussions for an answer but couldn't find one so hopefully I'm not repeating anything.

We currently only manage iOS devices with Casper. I don't have any mac information on the JSS at all.

I created an OSX image with some packages in it with AutoDMG. I then used Casper NetInstall Image Creator 5.0 to create the NetInstall image. Worked great and booted fine.....BUT
The process keeps asking for my JSS URL and I'm not using the JSS to do anything with my Macs. I can create the NetInstall image without entering but as soon as I netboot to the image, I get asked for the URL again.
What am I missing or doing wrong in this process?

2 REPLIES 2

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

How is Casper NetInstall Creator going to automagically know where JSS is, is to tell it when you're creating your NBI.

Were you prompted to enter the URL when you created your NBI? Did you enter the URL but it did not stick?

--
https://donmontalvo.com

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Yep. You can create a NetBoot image for a number of reasons but Casper NetInstall Image Creator was made for one and only one purpose. To create super fast RAMDisk based NBIs for deployments and provisioning using Casper Imaging. Casper Imaging, by design adds the OS X units you're imaging to the JSS for management. Because of this is NEEDs to know your JSSs URL.

If however, you wish to image OS X units and NOT manage them you probably want a different product like Deploy Studio. This would also mean you want to stop using Casper NetInstall Image Creator.