QuickAdd.pk installation failed/ Error enrolling computer: CRUD Operation Error

khurram
Contributor III

One of the Macbooks from our students' Macbooks trolley has become headache for us. We have tried HD permissions and other stuff, cut the long story short, we suspected the firmware and sent it to Apple for firmware upgrade and Apple did that and now we have returned this Macbook fresh from Apple store. We tried first installing QuickAdd.pkg and then tried "sudo jamf enroll -prompt" and got the following errors respectively.

• The installation failed. The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

• Error enrolling computer: CRUD operation Error - An error has occured while creating, reading, updating or deleting a device.

If this remain unresolved then we would request Apple to replace this Macbook with another one. Please note that other Macbooks and iPads are going good with imaging and etc. There are no other issues like certificate expired etc.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

NowAllTheTime
Contributor III

Have you tried deleting the original inventory record from the JSS? I've seen this a few times in the past when I have an inventory record that re-enrollment will not overwrite/update no matter what I do, but if I delete the record and then enroll as if it is a new machine it completes without any errors.

View solution in original post

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I would also try deleting any existing records in the JSS before enrolling. We get issues like that after re-imaging existing computers.

Another possibility is that something is stuck deeper in the MySQL DB (thinking of this particularly because of the CRUD error). Something could be stuck in either the "computers" or "computers_denormalized" tables so a search through that might help track down the issue.

Apple may well replace it anyway. That would probably "fix" the issue as a side-effect because all unique identifiers would be different with the new Mac, but it doesn't sound like it is a hardware fault with the device.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

khurram
Contributor III

Apple is saying that this Mac has passed all the hardware test and its OK. I would suspect if this error is related to JSS. This error has been following up us like a ghost since the Casper 9.3 version.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

It's probably not this, but I recall seeing a similar error last year when a computer had an emoji (in this case, the poo emoji) in the computer name. I removed the emoji from the name in System Prefs->Sharing and it enrolled after that.

NowAllTheTime
Contributor III

Have you tried deleting the original inventory record from the JSS? I've seen this a few times in the past when I have an inventory record that re-enrollment will not overwrite/update no matter what I do, but if I delete the record and then enroll as if it is a new machine it completes without any errors.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I would also try deleting any existing records in the JSS before enrolling. We get issues like that after re-imaging existing computers.

Another possibility is that something is stuck deeper in the MySQL DB (thinking of this particularly because of the CRUD error). Something could be stuck in either the "computers" or "computers_denormalized" tables so a search through that might help track down the issue.

Apple may well replace it anyway. That would probably "fix" the issue as a side-effect because all unique identifiers would be different with the new Mac, but it doesn't sound like it is a hardware fault with the device.

NickKoval
Contributor
Contributor

Was the QuickAdd package made with the version of Composer that corresponds to the version of your JSS?
Does the user you are enrolling with as part of the command line process have permissions to enroll systems?

khurram
Contributor III

@nkoval Your response is also related to this problem but the error message would be different. This is resolved by deleting the record from the JSS computers table. Nailed.