Packages showing RED in Casper Admin

dmw3
Contributor III

When uploading via Casper Admin some packages are showing up in "red" after saving. It does not happen on all uploads, but those that do don't have a "Checksum" assign to them.

They also do not show up in the share so cannot be deployed via a policy.

Any ideas?
JSS and JDS version 9.72

38ec11e7b2c84d1789a68f30f9835da9

7 REPLIES 7

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

Red means the file is missing from the share, they may have either been deleted or did not upload correctly.
Try re-uploading them.

dmw3
Contributor III

@Simmo I understand and know that the packages are not in the share. My main question is why does this occur, even after retrying to upload the same packages are still showing red.

Size does not seem to matter nor does how the packages are created.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@dmw3 when copying packages to a JDS, they are first copied to the database and then copied to the JDS. So if you drop into CA and then save and close CA immediately, the package may not be copied over to the JDS. Leaving CA open for awhile before closing seems to do the trick. This is especially true of larger packages.

dmw3
Contributor III

@stevewood Yes I realise that it takes time to sync JSS and JDS, I have left the CA open for half a day with the same results, 2.2gb and 500mb file give the same red notation in CA, but a 5gb file done at the same time is ok.

Even tried using the CA from different computers thinking it might have been the network connection, all are on fast ethernet (1000gb) which should not be a problem. The JSS and JDS are dedicated to only those functions, the only difference is that the JSS is RHEL 6.6 while the JDS is OSXS 10.9.5

We are in the process of increasing the usage of Casper Suite from an initial trial of 250 seats to a working load of 1500 seats, so this really needs to be resolved.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I have problems with .pkg files sometimes. They just won't upload to the JSS, even if I .zip them in advance. I don't know what the cause is but I've found building the .pkg in Packages usually fixes the issue.

rdwhitt
Contributor II

This happens to me all the time if I allow Casper Admin to zip non flat pkgs, especially Adobe installers. I always manually zip first:

zip -r -X Premiere_Pro_Install.pkg.zip Premiere_Pro_Install.pkg

Then I upload that zip file via Casper Admin and everything is happy.

Look
Valued Contributor III

When you rename a filename for a package this is instant.
However the database filename entry only occurs when you manually save or select the save option on quit.
So if you rename a bunch of packages and then Casper Admin crashes, you end up with a bunch of orphan files that don't match the database and come up red and a bunch of newly created package entries for the new filenames.
Basically it's a case of pretty poor coding or a technical limitation (the database should really be updated the moment the filename is changed).
Easiest way to avoid it is to always manually select Save in Casper Admin after every filename change on a package.