VPP assignment is failing

lastdanstanding
New Contributor III

I have a user that cannot receive Compressor via VPP.

We are successfully using VPP with managed distribution for OS X and iOS. Recently we purchased a single copy of Compressor 4.2 for evaluation.

I have created a VPP assignment, which contains just Compressor. When I scope the assignment to this user, the recalculation dialog appears. After some time, I click back onto the assignment and the recalculation has completed, however when I look in the App Store, while logged in with the user's Apple ID, Compressor is not part of the purchase history.

Looking at the VPP Account itself in Global Management, the Compressor line shows Total: 1, In Use: 1, Reported: 1. If I unscope the user from the assignment the In Use number drops to 0.

Meanwhile I can successfully assign Compressor to a different user. And I can successfully assign other software to the "problem" user.

I have tried deleting and recreating the user, redoing the VPP invitation, deleting and recreating the assignment, and even revoking all apps and reassigning. The behavior is consistent despite all those steps.

What could be the disconnect between Casper and the App Store that is not allowing this assignment?

This is with Casper 9.72 running on OS 10.9.5 Server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lastdanstanding
New Contributor III

Three cheers for JAMF Support!

They correctly diagnosed that Compressor had been hidden in the App Store for the user's Apple ID. Once I clicked "Unhide" everything worked as expected. What a silly thing.

More info here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202320

Thanks JAMF!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

Do you have any kind of app restrictions set up on the problem user?

qhle373
Contributor

From what you've already done to troubleshoot, I'd focus more on the user specifically. Is it possible that they've got a prior purchase of Compressor in their history already, and they just need to update it?

lastdanstanding
New Contributor III

No app restrictions to speak of, and no prior purchases of Compressor.

I have a case open with JAMF and will be doing some debugging with them. Fingers crossed!

lastdanstanding
New Contributor III

Three cheers for JAMF Support!

They correctly diagnosed that Compressor had been hidden in the App Store for the user's Apple ID. Once I clicked "Unhide" everything worked as expected. What a silly thing.

More info here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202320

Thanks JAMF!

Malcolm
Contributor II

Hidden app store apps preventing vpp distribution, thats a new one to me. Something to keep an eye out for.