name and password for printer operator on computer cart

EliasG
Contributor

dc5c2a22684a4ac581b3c0208ae32a53

What do I need to do to get rid of this on a student laptop cart. The only way I can remove this is by me going through 30+ macs and entering my credentials.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

I'll assume the student user is a standard user. They need to be in the print operators group. A lot of organizations do this so users can install/manage printers without being local administrators. Check out Ben Tom's post here.

MAD0oM
Contributor

@EliasG We did see it but unlike the command of adding the user to the admin group in the print operator which gives them permissions to add printers as well.. i did this:

A:) As root, or in a Terminal session with su privileges, sudo nano /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

B:) find the lines <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Res
tart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs> AuthType Default Require user @AUTHKEY(system.print.admin) @admin lpadmin Order deny,allow
</Limit>

C:) Remove the items you don't want limited like Pause-Printer, Resume-Printer, Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job, etc.

D:) Save the file, quit the editor, and restart..

you should be able to do actions like resume with any user and not giving up admin prove to users to add printers which can be a headache if they do..

thanks