Contributor III

Finally a fix for the Outlook issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3048688/

11 REPLIES 11

H3144-IT
Contributor II

Well, it is out since May 20th 2015

but it won't show up in the AutoUpdate -

no matter if you have one of the older AutoUpdates (2.3.x) from Office 2011 for Mac
or the newest Version 3.1, if you installed Office 2016 Preview.

So you have to download it from the Microsoft Website...

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yep, Microsoft is getting rather sloppy with regards to updating their auto update xml files. The same thing happened when they released Lync 14.0.11. It was still showing version 14.0.10 as the latest version (complete with a dead link to the non existent 14.0.10 download) for months. I had reached out to our MS rep on it, and, though I never got a confirmation, they did eventually fix it.

I'll ping our Microsoft rep on this to see if I can get them to spare someone for a few minutes to actually update the Auto Update link. There's really no excuse for such sloppy-ness.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Yeah, the fact that it's not in auto-update is really causing a headache for my end users. Also not helping is how they don't read emails I send them about where to download directly. But honestly, MS should be pushing this out since I'd say it's arguably a "critical update".

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I'm sure there are probably good reasons, but I have to ask, why not just deploy the update through Casper? Why wait to see if the user will update? Seems like it would be better if it was controlled by the admin to make sure people are all on the same version (for both compatibility and security reasons). If it were up to the user some stuff would never get updated unless they actually needed.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Generally speaking, I would agree with you @bpavlov If it were up to me, we would deploy Office updates silently and alert users when their apps were updated and to restart them. I have processes in place to do this and it works great, but unfortunately we can't seem to agree and standardize on how this needs to be done in a global push to our Macs. At times it feels like management is paralyzed here and can't decide on anything so we go around in circles just talking about actually doing something.
So for the moment, we still tend to direct users to update themselves as everyone has admin rights here.

Regardless of the method being used though, its still baffling to me why MS hasn't pushed this update to the Auto update framework. 14.5.0 was essentially broken. What sense does it make to keep it up there? is Microsoft just hoping no-one notices that update is causing issues? Its nonsensical. Imagine if JAMF had continued to keep the Casper Suite update from a few months ago that had major issues up on their download site for admins to download and install. Wouldn't they have gotten some flak for that? And rightly so?

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

It seems to be available via Microsoft AutoUpdate now.

scottb
Honored Contributor

14.5.2 just popped up...

corbinmharris
Contributor

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=47680

lsmc08
Contributor

Yup, I'm seeing 14.5.2 as well.

I'm testing now. Please let me know if you guys run into any issues with 14.5.2 (thinking 14.5.0's nightmares).

I will report my findings too.

Thank you.

dmw3
Contributor III

Tested this update without any issues so far. This update installs without the need to quit office applications.

Tested with self-service as well.

lsmc08
Contributor

Tested with the 14.5.2 update separate - no issues so far.

Created a new pkg, updated to 14.5.2, no issues so far.