clear a specific policy log more frequently

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

is there a way to clear a specific policy's log w/o actually going into the policy and clicking logs? I know there's log flushing in settings, but i don't necessarily want to flush all of them... And there's so many logs in this one policy it's taking too long to load them (been waiting nearly 30min so far).

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

How many logs are we talking about? Are you saying the "Flush All" in that specific policy is taking too long? Or just coming up with all the logs for that specific is taking too long. The only alternative I can think of to clear the log (not sure what consequences may occur if you do this too often) would be to clone the policy. Cloning the policy does not take the logs with it.

View solution in original post

scottb
Honored Contributor

@jwojda

If I get what you're saying, change the setting at the top of the page to a small number - I use "10" like the pic below. That way, it's not trying to load a bunch of things on the page at once. If it's something else, apologies...

63edeeba971541258ec46a274bf7e142

scottb
Honored Contributor

But what do you have for "Show"? All? 100? 500? 1000?

8 REPLIES 8

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

How many logs are we talking about? Are you saying the "Flush All" in that specific policy is taking too long? Or just coming up with all the logs for that specific is taking too long. The only alternative I can think of to clear the log (not sure what consequences may occur if you do this too often) would be to clone the policy. Cloning the policy does not take the logs with it.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

that's an option. actually... didn't think of that.

The delay (still going btw) is when I go to the policy, and click on logs. That initial list is what's delaying causing my safari to be running @ about 13% constantly. I'll try cloning the policy and then deleting the old one, still a bit of a pita to do ongoing but it's a start.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Have you tried a different browser? You mentioned Safari, and honestly, I simply stopped trying to use Safari with our JSS due to continuous timeouts and other oddities it has with it. Though I'm not a fan of it, I use Firefox to access my JSS and its a lot better. Its the only thing I use Firefox for.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@jwojda

If I get what you're saying, change the setting at the top of the page to a small number - I use "10" like the pic below. That way, it's not trying to load a bunch of things on the page at once. If it's something else, apologies...

63edeeba971541258ec46a274bf7e142

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

not exactly, this is when I just click on logs itself from within the policy.598ea6be972e430982e61cefa40b1fce

scottb
Honored Contributor

But what do you have for "Show"? All? 100? 500? 1000?

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

it's not getting that far. that was the whole thing (save for the policy title). but they are probably set to all... ah. i gotcha. I went into a failed only policy display, changed to 10, and now it displays on the ones that were hanging! :)
thanks!

musat
Contributor III

I just wanted to respond to this since I had the same question. We have some "daily" policies that create a lot of logs, fairly quickly. When I go to the Log page of the policy, even if it is set to only display 10 items on a page, the JSS still processes all of the log files before it will display any. So if I have a policy that has built up 80,000 log entries (not hard to do with a daily policy on 5000 devices) it can take a long time for the policy log page to finish loading. And then a long time to Flush All logs. Just thought there might be a quicker way to do that.

Heck, even the URL string to Flush All and I could manually put in the policy ID from my mysql report.

Tim