Creating a 10.10.3 minimal image

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

I have already successfully created a netboot image using AutoDMG and CasperNBI(? spelling).

Can I use that same AutoDMG image for my minimal image in Casper Suite?

I see so many posts on this that I am getting so confused.

I created the AutoDMG for the latest 10.10.3 installer on a 10.10.3 system.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

You said you created the image for CasperNBI, now you want to use it with Casper Suite? Do you mean Casper Imaging? If so yes you can give Casper Imaging the same image AutoDMG created, just create a first user via Casper Imaging, or allow Setup Assistant to run on first boot.

View solution in original post

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

I use AutoDMG to create the base image I use in my configurations (just drag it into Admin) as well as for AutoCasperNBI. Works great, just follow the advice above about having an account created at some point.

Edit: To clarify about users, I actually just use a create user package like this.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

In case it helps, here's my blog about first boot setups (mostly) using config profiles and the sysadminctl command to create the local admin user:

http://www.amsys.co.uk/2015/blog/creating-config-profiles-instead-first-boot-script/#.VW39f3B4WK0

11 REPLIES 11

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

You said you created the image for CasperNBI, now you want to use it with Casper Suite? Do you mean Casper Imaging? If so yes you can give Casper Imaging the same image AutoDMG created, just create a first user via Casper Imaging, or allow Setup Assistant to run on first boot.

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

Thank you for the reminder to create the first user. Yes that is what I meant.. So then I can just drag that image into casper imaging?

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

I use AutoDMG to create the base image I use in my configurations (just drag it into Admin) as well as for AutoCasperNBI. Works great, just follow the advice above about having an account created at some point.

Edit: To clarify about users, I actually just use a create user package like this.

mistacabbage
Contributor

+1 for CreateUserPkg

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Yes, theoretically, your AutoDMG OS X package can be used in imaging. You'll just need to make sure you have a script or some kind of policies in the JSS that configure the OS to your specifications. I've found @rtrouton's First Boot script a good starting place. I make it the first policy that runs during imaging in our org (with some modifications/additions for our environment). You can also create a JSS policy that creates a local user, or use the CreateUserPkg to make your user. From there the rest is up to you.

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

The rest I have setup. It is just packages. Does the CreateUSerPkg work with 10.10. it does not state that it works with 10.10

johnnasset
Contributor

CreateUserPkg works fine for me in 10.10.

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

Uploaded to Casper admin.. Will test in Am.. many thanks to everyone if this works out.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

In case it helps, here's my blog about first boot setups (mostly) using config profiles and the sysadminctl command to create the local admin user:

http://www.amsys.co.uk/2015/blog/creating-config-profiles-instead-first-boot-script/#.VW39f3B4WK0

CSHGreenwich
New Contributor III

I could not give just one person credit. Thank you for all of your advice. So far I have created the base image and used AutoDMG and the createuserpkg.

I just dragged the package into my base image configuration.

I am not sure if I will need the profile information but it may be time to change. It is certainly a very clear and concise summary. thank you @ davidacland

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@CSHGreenwich Glad to see that [AutoCasperNBI] (https://macmule.com/projects/AutoCasperNBI) helped.

I've also posted my imaging workflow, FWIW we don't user CreateUserPKG instead we let Casper do it's thing