Casper admin/remote oddity

roiegat
Contributor III

So I was working on packaging some applications and wanted to test it on a machine. I went to admin dropped the file, gave it info data. I then went into the console to create a policy for it...all worked fine.

So then I opened remote and it said it can't reach the server (error 403). So I went back to the web console, I can connect to it fine and look at all the things. I then tried to open admin, got the can't reach server error again.

I looked at my keychains thinking a proxy setting might be blocking it up, removed the proxy keychains and tried again - same issue.

Just to make sure it wasn't a bigger issue then my machine I tried from other machines and it works fine. So any idea why my iMac is all of a sudden getting 403 error when trying to connect with admin and remote? Never seen this happen before.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rdwhitt
Contributor II

If you are using a site admin account, make sure you have chosen a site from the drop down in the web interface before attempting to use Casper Remote.

We're on 9.72 and I was able to replicate the same error. It was because I was using a site admin account with custom permissions and had "Full JSS" selected in the web interface.

abc183949d2a41499f6211a6224a53c6

When attempting to login to Casper Remote with the same account I received two errors:
31d47bbc82ed436bba705e5391eea8b0

I confirmed that our certs were good, clicking "Continue" resulted in:
8058b147cd5f4d1cba0b32ccd9ef842a

The fix for me was to change the drop down in the web interface to a specific site before attempting to login to Casper Remote. I also had to close Casper Remote and re-open in order for it to recognize the change.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rdwhitt
Contributor II

If you are using a site admin account, make sure you have chosen a site from the drop down in the web interface before attempting to use Casper Remote.

We're on 9.72 and I was able to replicate the same error. It was because I was using a site admin account with custom permissions and had "Full JSS" selected in the web interface.

abc183949d2a41499f6211a6224a53c6

When attempting to login to Casper Remote with the same account I received two errors:
31d47bbc82ed436bba705e5391eea8b0

I confirmed that our certs were good, clicking "Continue" resulted in:
8058b147cd5f4d1cba0b32ccd9ef842a

The fix for me was to change the drop down in the web interface to a specific site before attempting to login to Casper Remote. I also had to close Casper Remote and re-open in order for it to recognize the change.

roiegat
Contributor III

That was it. So my userid was moved from one group to another in AD and I needed to user a second account to log into JAMF. On my iMac the keychain still had the password for my old account - which is forbidden to log in (hence 403). So it all makes sense now. Thanks!