Ability to launch the JSSDatabaseUtility where MySQL database is off-box?

benducklow
Contributor III

I am checking to see if the JSSDatabaseUtility can be launched/used/configured where the MySQL DB is located on a different server. I am working on the Mac OS X platform in my DEV environment.

Right now when I launch the JSSDatabaseUtility from my DEV JSS, I get a prompt stating the path to the MySQL binaries could not be found and asks me to locate them... of course they are located on another server, so I'm kinda stuck.

Trying to see what options I may have here at this point. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

That's correct, best to drop them into one of the default paths like /usr/bin

View solution in original post

benducklow
Contributor III

OK, after hearing your response, I paired that with the JAMF article, JSS Database Utility Unable to Locate MySQL Path. I followed those steps to extra the mysql and mysqldump files to /usr/bin/ (did that via the scp Terminal command). Once that was done, I was able to successfully launch the JSSDatabaseUtility. I just had to plug in the IP Address of the server that hosts the database!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

It would need a copy of the mysql and mysqldump binaries installed as the JSSDatabaseUtility uses them. You could install MySQL, or specifically the binaries onto the OS X box, but keep the MySQL DB elsewhere.

benducklow
Contributor III

@davidacland You say mysql and mysqldump binaries need to be installed? Can they just be copied over from the other server running MySQL server and referenced when I get the prompt when launching the JSSDatabaseUtility? (I am trying to avoid another MySQL install/instance)

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

That's correct, best to drop them into one of the default paths like /usr/bin

benducklow
Contributor III

OK, after hearing your response, I paired that with the JAMF article, JSS Database Utility Unable to Locate MySQL Path. I followed those steps to extra the mysql and mysqldump files to /usr/bin/ (did that via the scp Terminal command). Once that was done, I was able to successfully launch the JSSDatabaseUtility. I just had to plug in the IP Address of the server that hosts the database!