DEP iPad locked with iCloud account

khurram
Contributor III

One of the reasons we opted for DEP program for ipads was to avoid iCloud locked ipads. We have an ipad now which is assigned to DEP but still locked with student's iCloud ID. This is nuisance because the iPad was purchased by the school and remains school property until the device is Disowned from the DEP portal. If this is happening then either my information is not correct or DEP seems to have some loophole.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

clyde
New Contributor III

Does the iPad have activation lock enabled ?

try checking management tab, click wipe device - you may be either..

1. pop up window, confirming wipe

2. new page pop up, with confirming wife and a checkbox to click to remove activation lock.

if you got 2 I think we're good to go and use that.

1 - im not sure what to do, but I've read online and several places you can request for activation lock to be turned off if you have GSX account, and some thing voodoo things.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

clyde
New Contributor III

Does the iPad have activation lock enabled ?

try checking management tab, click wipe device - you may be either..

1. pop up window, confirming wipe

2. new page pop up, with confirming wife and a checkbox to click to remove activation lock.

if you got 2 I think we're good to go and use that.

1 - im not sure what to do, but I've read online and several places you can request for activation lock to be turned off if you have GSX account, and some thing voodoo things.

khurram
Contributor III

In our MDM "Require Authentication" is enabled. Usually it would go to username and password prompt for the school and not for the iCloud. Thanks @clyde for helping me out here.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Sometimes what we experienced (not with DEP though, but with Apple Configurator), is that an iPad is supervised in AC, shows as supervised in JSS, user has Find my iPad enabled, but the Activation Lock Bypass in JSS is not turned off. So, when we'd connect that iPad to AC, unsupervise it and set it as a new device, it would ask for that user's Apple ID password, and we wouldn't have the Activation Lock Bypass Code. So in this case, we would have to either contact the user who left or contact Apple and get it unlocked, both processes equally annoying.

Pool
New Contributor

I found out that if Find My iPad was left turned on when the device was returned, you must contact AppleCare at 1-800-800-2775 Opt 3, Opt 1 for assistance.

Otherwise, even though you wiped the device, when the next person tries to set it up, it will ask for the previous user's Apple ID. This happens even after a factory re-set.

If you provide the serial numbers of the devices, they will reset the iPads in 10 days.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

I would vote up this FR Activation Lock.

We really don't want to deal with Activation Lock at all. It is my understanding (unless things have changed) that a supervised device can not enable activation lock unless it receives the allow command from MDM. The JSS automatically sends the allow command if it collects the bypass code.

Last year we wiped all student devices at the end of the year and the JSS failed to clear activation lock on 97 devices out of about 700. It took Apple over a month to remove Activation Lock on that many devices.