Patchoo

jamesdurler
Contributor

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone else is using Patchoo. I am playing around with it in our environment, and I have it working and deploying updates.

The only thing it doesn't seem to be doing is presenting the package names its downloaded in the cocoa dialog prompt screen. I've read the documentation and understand that it should pull information from the info on the package, and if thats blank it should just pull the filename barring the extension.

I have tried this with several packages but all seem to not display the name at all, its just blank. Am I missing something obvious?

10 REPLIES 10

jacopo_pulici
Contributor

Hi @jamesdurler ,
I'm using Patchoo as well, amazing solution.
Your problem is due the info/description and filename stored in Casper Admin.
The filename must not have spaces and be sure to complete the Description and Info tab in Casper Admin.

jamesdurler
Contributor

Hi @Jachk , yea it looks decent.

The filename is VLC-2.2.1.dmg & has both info and notes filled out in casper admin.

jacopo_pulici
Contributor

Hi @jamesdurler ,
At the moment I don't have access to my JSS therefore I'm not completely sure but try to avoid the dots in the file name.
Let me know

jamesdurler
Contributor

Hi @Jachk, seems a bit strange as i am following the naming convention that the documentation guide recommends - <packagename-majorversion.minorversion.extension>

see the link below:

Uploading PKGS and naming

i'll give it a go anyway and let you know

jacopo_pulici
Contributor

@jamesdurler I've just checked the latest package I uploaded some days ago and it's AdobeAIR-17.0.0.172.pkg
You mentioned a DMG, if I remember correctly Patchoo should work only with Pkgs.
Give it a try with a .pkg.

jamesdurler
Contributor

Seems to be an issue when trying to read data via api which is strange.

<html>
<head> <title>Status page</title>
</head>
<body style="font-family: sans-serif;">
<p style="font-size: 1.2em;font-weight: bold;margin: 1em 0px;">Not Found</p>
<p>The server has not found anything matching the request URI</p>
<p>You can get technical details <a href="http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.4.5">here</a>.<br>
Please continue your visit at our <a href="/">home page</a>.
</p>
</body>
</html>

when querying a package for information. The api username + password is correct and it has full read access.

jamesdurler
Contributor

right i realised why, the display name needs to be identical to the file name.

It turns out API uses the display name to search packages rather than the actual file name. That seems kind of stupid.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Yeah… I think the trick is to leave the package name and the actual filename of the pkg the same, but just put a descriptive title in the Info field for patchoo to display in the cocoaDialog pop-up.

We use it in our environment and it's be absolutely lovely and exactly what we need.

jamesdurler
Contributor

hi @emilykausalik , i have the core of it working fine. For some reason though, the first popup that triggers after running 'check for new software' doesn't display the info on packages properly.

Even though the api has pulled down the correct info from the package. I have verified this by checking /libary/application support/patchoo/pkgdata and checking the relevant files.

I also know its working as the bubble notification windows that show the package has downloaded displays it correctly.

See the screenshots below. The first one shows what happens immediately after running check for new software. The second screenshot shows it correctly, (every 2 hour check for cached packages that need to be installed)d8d29464a3084f76a980154d51f77273
c272415701364e25bcc5778341ea8226

Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Thanks

jacopo_pulici
Contributor

Hi everybody, I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm hitting a problem with Patchoo and 10.11.1 El Capitan update.
I've been using Patchoo a lot in my company in order to patch and deploy software and works fine.
Now I want to use it for a major OS update. I did everything as explained HERE.
I uploaded the package created with CreateOsxInstallPkg (selecting the "requires restart" option in Casper Admin) and defined the policy. When the policy runs everything is in place and the installation begins, then the Mac restart with the FileVault 2 login screen.
After I login with the FV2 enabled user, the installation process doesn't continue. The user just get logged in and nothing else.
Does anyone else have any experience with a similar scenario? Any advice?
Cheers

Jack