Server crashed, backup failed and need to start over

natesimons
New Contributor III

My JSS computer failed (luckily after school was out and I had collected all of the iPads). Got a new machine back up and running tried to restore my JSS backup and no good. When I click "restore" I get a message that says the file is not a gzip file (but it is). According to the JAMF, some of the headers got cut off in the backup file and the JSS utility is not recognizing it. So....back to square one.

I have about 500 iPads that now need to be re-enrolled BUT...they all still have the previous MDM policy installed. Another punch in the gut is that none of the have "erase all" capability because I blocked it in the policy. I also have a policy set so that they can't be connected to any computers (to help prevent jailbreaking). So right now I have no way to communicate with these iPads to re-enroll them in my JSS.

JAMF is working on some things for this but I thought I would toss this out to the brain trust. Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

charter
New Contributor III

Hi there 1 all i can say is that i feel your pain i have had this happen on the same level. You wouldnt happen to have a older back up from lets say a week ago or even better if you have one from the start of the week? the JSS should be backing up automatically everyday (thats if you have it set up in all jump starts the enable it) what are you running it on? if mac its located in /Library/JSS and in that folder you will find all of your back ups. Personally i would go for the next previous back up and restore to that one less work. as for re enrolment the way i deal with enrolling devices because its a k to 4 environment i make enrolment profiles (based on year group, classes and teacher groups) and put them on a small web server. its so much quicker because you dont need to log on to the jss enrolment 500 times your simply go to your webvserver and download the trust and then the mdm profile. this should work because from the sound of it you have a similar situation ive been in and this is how i fixed it.

lisacherie
Contributor II

Curious.. how was the backup created? Are all the backups corrupt? And as the previous comment suggested could you go back to an older backup?

Can you gunzip the file manually without using the utility? If so, you have a .sql file you could import manually. Though I'm guessing your support person at Jamf has already tried this :(

natesimons
New Contributor III

I was using time machine for my backups. I had pulled the backups from time machine after I did the restore and none of them would open or restore....all with the same error.
The JAMF person working on the backup file said they were missing lots of info or something like that.
I'm going to try the enrollment config thing right now and see what happens.

natesimons
New Contributor III

The enrollment config idea didn't work (and I really thought it would). The issue with this is...I put a restriction on the iPads that says kids can't install or remove profiles. When I try to do this I get the profile to show up on the iPad but I don't get an option to install it. It was a good idea though. Any other ideas?