Does anyone have the step by step guide in setting up SUS... .thank you!

mreaso
New Contributor III

Need help in setting up SUS.

11 REPLIES 11

wmateo
Contributor

Yes, the Manual.

merps
Contributor III

From what I remember, the documentation for NetSUS available here was pretty straightforward.

mjsanders
New Contributor III

if you use NetSUS the post of merps is your friend (see the Product URL link to the manual in pdf form)
If you use the Apple OS X Server version: read the advanced manual here:
advanced admin guide online

Configuring the client is the hardest part, I prefer profiles for that task

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

do yourself a favour use Reposado

mreaso
New Contributor III

Thanks very much. Based on your experience which one of the 3 worked pretty well?

merps
Contributor III

@calumhunter Why Reposado instead of NetSUS? Isn't NetSUS based on Reposado on the back end?

I've implemented NetSUS at a previous location & looking to set up an internal SUS at the new place. Looking to implement the "best" option here.

Have you used both? Are there functions with Reposado that are limited/removed with NetSUS?

Thanks in advance, and hopefully the discussion will help others too.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

@merps

NetSUS does strange and weird things, its kind of a butchered Reposado a little bit.

If you need to update it or configure it to suit your needs, you end up having to work out what JAMF have changed. The web interface in my opinion is a bit naff

If you use the actual Reposado, you're going to have a much easier time maintaining and configuring it.

Yes I have used both, I've lost count of how many reposado servers I've setup probably a couple hundred. And maybe a dozen NetSUS servers, I stopped using them pretty quickly

If you are a small shop with a single server and are wanting to cache apple updates then NetSUS or reposado is probably not the right choice, your probably better off with caching server

It depends what you're after.

For me, Reposado is about having multiple cascading softwareupdate servers (because of multiple site locations) that allow me to have branches for update releases like Production, Testing, Pilot

I can then release certain updates to certain machines depending on the track or branch they are in.

It depends on what you are trying to achieve as to which tool is the best option

mattware
Contributor

Netsus is simple to use and powerful enough for me. The .ova image is way out of date though, you'll need to expand it to 300GB if you plan on caching updates. JAMF hasn't updated it in over 9 months now.

merps
Contributor III

@calumhunter Awesome, thanks. I remember a couple of the reposado "built-ins" weren't working as expected on the NetSUS we used before so this makes sense.

We'll go with Reposado here since our environment needs to start with 3 servers (production (internal and DMZ), & Test) and could easily be extended to more groups & locations as we roll out.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

@merps

Also checkout Margarita Its a very nice GUI front end for Reposado

here is a really good guide

setting up reposado and margarita

teknikal35
New Contributor III

create your netboot server in Casper , under managment tool create a tittle use ip address of the mac for the hiost name

you can also use netboot /sus 3.02