JNUC 2015-question for those have been in the past

ssalafia
New Contributor

HI, I'm (hopefully) going to be attending this year and have a few questions since I will be up there flying there. Will I need a car to get around? How late is the the final day (trying to figure out if I should fly that day or wait until the next day)? Also, any hotel recommendations would be welcome, I saw the ones listed on the conference page that are offering discounts but I'm not sure which would be easiest to get to Guthrie from (especially if I can avoid renting a car).

Thanks,
Sherry

13 REPLIES 13

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

Hi Sherry,

From past years i've never needed a car. There's a train from the airport that takes you four or 5 blocks from the Guthrie/hotels.

The last day usually ends early to accommodate people leaving on flights. (3 pm last year IIRC.)

I usually stay at the Marriott at the depot, its a 3 block walk from the Guthrie.

• RD

Janowski
New Contributor II

It's been a little while for me, but I agree with the Light Rail/walking combo. There are usually a couple other places you can walk to if you were feeling adventurous or needed a bite after hours too.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

Glad to hear you'll be joining us! I don't think you'll need a rental car. The rail from the Airport is a few dollars or an Uber Black is $50ish. (Not sure if the less expensive Ubers can run from the airport yet) For getting around, price can fluctuate but almost every Uber car was $6 one way last year. It's easy to find people to ride with for dinner or the closing party too.

All the hotels on the conference page are great especially Aloft and Normandy but they fill up so fast. (Both are booked solid) If you book a different hotel I'd try and stay as close to the theater as you can. There's quite a few nice restaurants and JNUC happy hours that will be going on in the area.

Last year the sessions ended an hour earlier than the other days however there was then a complimentary happy hour in the theater. I left midday Friday and found plenty of people still around to get drinks or dinner Thursday night.

DVG
New Contributor III

Light rail is easy from the airport, plus most hotels will have shuttle services to the Guthrie, just plan on a short wait to accommodate all the people coming & going. I'm completely blanking on the hotel we stayed in last year, but it was right by the highway and had ~Starbucks in the lobby, plus several folks enjoying the conference, so good chats in downtime. If you must get somewhere that's not a decent walk from the light rail, I'd suggest a cab or check with the hotel for shuttle service.

Dusty VanGilder

etippett
Contributor II

The Minneapolis bike share system is also wonderful

https://www.niceridemn.org

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

The only time we needed a car last year was to get to the Wednesday night party/event thing, as it was a bit far to walk. But other than that I don't think you'll need a car.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Agreed with others. No car should be needed. Its pretty easy to get around walking in that area of Minneapolis. And the light rail will get you to the general vicinity of hotels and the Guthrie from MSP International Airport.
The only reason I would consider renting a car is if you also planned on exploring other areas of the city that aren't as accessible with public trans, or traveling to other parts of MN, if its your first time there and you want to do a little touristy stuff.

Johnny_Kim
Contributor II

For those flying in, maybe we can make an arrangement to share/split an uber ride from MSP.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

I'll give a shout in the #jamfnation channel on Slack + IRC when I arrive. Good place to be logged into while you're at JNUC.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

@Johnny.Kim the light rail is really cheap ($1.90) and departs right from MSP airport to most of the hotels by the JNUC.

franton
Valued Contributor III

I managed the entirety of JNUC 2014 with walking and a Go-To Card. I bought a 7 day one, did trips from my AirBnB accommodation to JNUC and back, a trip to the Mall of America and the sculpture garden.

ssalafia
New Contributor

Thanks for all the quick responses!

Sherry

MikeF
Contributor II

I drive up every year and the car stays in the garage the whole time. Stay right across the street at the Aloft and can walk there in a couple minutes.