Package with Desktop Shortcut

WillPrak
New Contributor II

Apologies in advance for the newbie question but I am trying to package a folder (with an .app file in it) to deploy to a bunch of machines and have an alias/shortcut to the app placed on the desktop.

I have used Composer to create the DMG file and deployed to a test machine successfully however the icon for the alias file is showing as a blank white box rather than the app icon. The alias looks fine before capturing with Composer.

Hoping this is just an easy fix that I am overlooking somewhere in the process.

~[upload](Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 8.29.24

4 REPLIES 4

stevevalle
Contributor III

Hi.

Your screenshot hasn't uploaded correctly, however, if you are referring to your folder icon, there should be an icon file in the folder in Composer. See screenshot attached.

I have a custom icon on a folder on my desktop and custom icon on a folder in that folder! The icon file is a hidden file. If that fie is removed, the custom icon is removed.

Hope that helps.

Steve

9c27aa0093d04923832e10b9fa4ff8b6

WillPrak
New Contributor II

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response, the problem I'm having is that the alias on the Desktop has the applications icon in it, but when packaged and deployed the icon on the end user's Desktop is just a dog-eared paper icon. The alias still works in terms of launching the application but I fear that user's won't use the shortcut if it doesn't have the vendor icon on it as they won't read the actual name of the shortcut.

Hope this makes a bit more sense and hope the screenshot attachments work this time.

Thanks,
Will

9bc32b469f3f444c9b3446d3d5a516b4
076dcdf5f6244b9fb73c585a4efa61e2

zdale59
New Contributor

I have experienced the same thing this week. What is strange is you can click "Get info" on the alias then click on the image at the top left then click "copy" and "paste" and it will show correctly. So I know it is sort of there. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Aliases are funny types of files in OS X, and sometimes don't transition well when deployed in a package, which is why it loses its icon. The best advice I can offer would be to make an alias of the app to the user's Desktop after its been installed using Applescript commands, instead of trying to include an alias within your package.

I can help with writing a script to do this if you need. I just can't do it right this minute.