Boot stuck prior to loginscreen after 10.10.5 Update

burdett
Contributor II

Hi everyone,

We are seeing a few iMacs getting stuck on a white screen & Macbook pros getting stuck on a black screen on reboot after the 10.10.5 upgrade - is anyone else seeing this? The cause I'm finding is the Policy Banner does not display at login preventing preventing the name and password login prompt from being displayed. I was able to use Apple Remote Desktop to connect to the affected computers, see and click on the Policy Banner accept button. Afterwards the computer display would show the name and password login prompt. So far I have seen this once 1 out of the 15 computers that have upgraded. I have yet to discover what the underlining cause might be and a way to avoid this issue.

4 REPLIES 4

scottb
Honored Contributor

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Looks like there are some possible issues with policy banners:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202277

brushj
New Contributor III

We are seeing this with brand new Air's as well. Freshly imaged to 10.10.5 just sitting at the loading bar. If we let it sit for about 10 minutes then reboot it and let it sit the normal time that our first run script would take it comes up fine and we aren't seeing anything in our jamf log, our custom postinstall log, or in a verbose boot that are giving us any indication of what the deal is.

We don't have banners on these nor do we even have them in groups yet.

We are using autodmg to create the never booted image. Just did a snapshot of a booted version of 10.10.5 to see if that helps. We just imaged our older machines (about 4,000 of them) with 10.10.4 and it was fine.

Swift
New Contributor II

We are seeing this too since moving to 10.10.5, but in a very specific situation.

It seems that delaying the loginwindow in our firstboot script via launchctl unload/load no longer works consistently.

Occasionally, when the login window is reloaded via launchctl, the mac continues to show a grey screen.
Viewing the affected workstation via remote desktop shows the login window (not a grey screen).

Anyone else noticed this?