jamfbin files???

sanaumann
New Contributor III

Hello.

I have 19.2GB of jamfbin files in my MySQL folder. They are actually named jamfbin.00123 (the numbers change) and there are multiple files created per minute for no reason I can find. Each file is approximately 15MB and there is an index file. File type is the numbers behind the jamfbin (i.e. jamfbin.00123 is filetype 00123).

My drive keeps filling up, I need to get these figured out. Do I need to keep them? How are they generating? Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

This is likely due to MySQL's binary logging turned on for replication and your database being named jamf: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/binary-log.html

If you dont have a master/slave mysql replication setup you might not need this configured. It is enabled in the my.cnf/my.ini file for mysql or if possible, checked within the MySQL options in the JSSDatabaseUtil.jar.

These take up a lot of space on your hard-drive and can cause a higher resource requirements since its constantly backing itself up. If not needed or being used, its generally advised to disable.

This is not related to general backup of mysql done by the JSSDatabaseUtil - for that we leverage scheduled tasks (launchd, cron, etc) and mysqldump commands.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Hi @sanaumann … I've tried to dig into this a bit but have been unable to find any info. Have you tried emailing your TAM? You should be able to email support@jamfsoftware.com and get in touch with them. Someone from the support team may be able to give you a quicker answer.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Is this on your JSS? Have you got "collect binaries" switched on with a rogue client Mac?

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

This is likely due to MySQL's binary logging turned on for replication and your database being named jamf: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/binary-log.html

If you dont have a master/slave mysql replication setup you might not need this configured. It is enabled in the my.cnf/my.ini file for mysql or if possible, checked within the MySQL options in the JSSDatabaseUtil.jar.

These take up a lot of space on your hard-drive and can cause a higher resource requirements since its constantly backing itself up. If not needed or being used, its generally advised to disable.

This is not related to general backup of mysql done by the JSSDatabaseUtil - for that we leverage scheduled tasks (launchd, cron, etc) and mysqldump commands.

sanaumann
New Contributor III

@mike.paul You are on the right track. Turns out the bin logging for MySQL was turned on in the JSS Database Utility. That's located in C:Program FilesJSSin in the Utilities menu. I looked at my.ini but it's not clear-cut how to comment out the right information in my configuration, so I used the GUI.

Thanks to all for your help :)