Google Drive and JSS managed printers

drioux
Contributor

We have been having an issue with printers that are managed through the JSS not cooperating with the Chrome browser. For whatever reason some printers disappear and then show back up at random intervals, and only when the person is trying to print out of Chrome. It is particularly nasty in how it tries to format and print Google Doc files too. Printing seems to work fine within Firefox and Safari however.

We have been trying the usual things, restart the system and/or the browser. Remove and reinstall the jamf framework. Reset the printing system and require the printers... you get the idea.

I see that Google has been pushing their cloud print services and print interface, and it makes me wonder if is conflicting with Casper somehow. I have tried disabling the Chrome print interface with the following, but it hasn't helped much:

defaults write com.google.Chrome DisablePrintPreview -bool true

Anyone having similar issues and if so, have you found any work arounds?

2 REPLIES 2

lwindram
Contributor

Take a look at this post. My motivation for implementing this was that whenever a user printed from within Google Docs, the Google print dialog would default to A4 paper size, which would lock the printer as it couldn't find a tray with that size. I never experienced an issue with printer availability, however, so YRMV.

drioux
Contributor

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Funny, we use Lanschool too. Although I don't think anyone having this issue uses it, or even has it installed