El Cap bypassing internal SUS

Kovach
New Contributor

All of our managed clients are pointing to an internal SUS (that works great) however clicking the 'Free Upgrade' button on the El Capitan banner downloads the installer. It is not enabled in the SUS. Does an OS upgrade go straight to the Apple SUS or something?

Feel like I'm missing something basic here.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

dferrara
Contributor II

@Kovach The best (maybe the only) way to block El Cap that I've found is to use the Restricted Software process. I've brought this up with our SE in the past and I don't think they have much sympathy.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Kovach the full OS installers are hosted in on the Apple Store

So nothing to do with SUS.

H3144-IT
Contributor II

Does that only apply to OS X Upgrade Files?!

because in the past, when my internal SUS did not haddownloaded new Files yet -
like iTunes, Security Patches - they did not come up in "Updates" within the App Store on the Client Macs.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@H3144-IT The OS X installers like for EL Capitan (and Yosemite before that, Mavericks before that and so on) are actually .app files, not .pkg installers. Generally speaking, SUS dishes out .pkg or package installers (not counting items like XProtect updates). The [Mac] App Store deals with apps. So yes, items like an iTunes update or even a point release OS update will show up on your SUS since those are packages, but full OS X installers will not because they are application installers.

dferrara
Contributor II

@Kovach The best (maybe the only) way to block El Cap that I've found is to use the Restricted Software process. I've brought this up with our SE in the past and I don't think they have much sympathy.

Kovach
New Contributor

Thanks @* for the replies. Restricted Software it is!