9.81 Free App Distribution without Apple ID

ryan_dean
New Contributor II

I read through this thread and I'm still having issues.

All I want to get working is having a new iPad enrolled with iOS 9 through DEP and let self service automatically download with no apple id needed.

These iPads I'm working on are already setup through DEP and are on iOS 9. They are not assigned to any user and are in scope to receive Self Service. I followed these instructions to deploy Self Service Manually instead of automatically. I also went to my VPP and purchased 2000 copies of self service, and they are showing under VPP in Casper.

I lookup the device in Casper and see that Self Service is in scope, I press Update Inventory and see Self Service trying to install, on the iPad it prompts me to sign into iTunes, I don't want to be prompted so I press cancel. Then in Casper it says failed, please log in to your iTunes Store account.

What am I doing wrong and how can I get this working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

@ryan.dean Are you using sites? I saw the same thing and as soon as I removed the app from the site and set it to none it allowed me to check the box.
6a9d6b168bd94dba9902ccb2fa065daf

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

We don't use DEP or VPP to push apps, but self service just shows up on our iPads as soon as they're enrolled properly. Not sure if that helps you or not.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

Under the app self service click the vpp tab and check the box "Assign VPP Content." That should make it assigned to the device and not require an Apple ID.

wdpickle
Contributor

We are testing this also on a few iPads (for now) and have had to reset the iPads to get them to enroll correctly and talk to our JSS.

ryan_dean
New Contributor II

@Nick_Gooch here is what I see when I go there.

c0b3461933144f678fb76b701a2d81b8

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

@ryan.dean Are you using sites? I saw the same thing and as soon as I removed the app from the site and set it to none it allowed me to check the box.
6a9d6b168bd94dba9902ccb2fa065daf

ryan_dean
New Contributor II

@wdpickle My profiles and web clips are sending just fine, and the apps themselves are pushing to the device, just not utilizing the feature where they install without Apple ID. I've done everything suggested, not sure what else to try.

@Nick_Gooch I was using a site on my VPP account, and the app I added was not in a site. After I changed my VPP account to no site, I was able to see the check box, thank you for you help!

ryan_dean
New Contributor II

[double post]

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

I've started shifting away from sites. I've had too many things like that happen. It's easier for us to just scope with departments, positions and smart groups since we don't really have more then 1 casper admin.

ryan_dean
New Contributor II

@Nick_Gooch Once thing I have noticed now that they are sending to the device, is that they aren't installing. They are greyed out, like it is downloading, though doesn't show the pie chart of progress, and it says waiting...

Did you see yours download properly?

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

Yes, ours are downloading properly. I've seen that happen before with non-device assigned apps though. If we clicked on the app to pause it, then click again to resume they get the install started. I haven't looked at what causes it.

Are all of your device assigned apps doing it?

ryan_dean
New Contributor II

@Nick_Gooch It was actually due to me not realizing that I was hiding all apps, so it started installing, and stopped because it was supposed to be hidden, leaving the grey progress. After removing that restriction it did properly install and all seems well.