JNUC Beer Share

charliwest
Contributor II

Hi all,

I hope people planning to come to the JNUC bottle share all see this, please share it with those you think wont see it.

I just wanted to do a bit of an update about the event, JAMF are hosting at their office, but there will not be food provided by them, I think it might be a good idea to grab something before coming, or we could order some pizza's if people want?

Also this has now got way bigger than we thought it would, and I wanted to confirm that the idea here is that people bring along beer as well, its not a sponsored event so we can only taste what people bring to share. At the moment we don't really know how it will work as there is so many people and there is only so many tastes you can get out of a bottle, so we will have to wing it a bit think, pro beer tasters chime in with ideas?

40 REPLIES 40

coveyj1
New Contributor

It does get tough depending on bottle size and popularity. What are we doing for cups? If we can try to keep it to 2 oz pours or under it will go a lot further overall. I am also going to refrain from anything that I have had before so that those that have not can enjoy. It may get tricky with a high number - but think it's only fair to expect contribution for participation.

mattbrow
New Contributor

Wish I'd be able to make this event. I actually brought some beer from Green Bay that you can't really get outside of it. Small brewery called Stillmank. If I have a can or two left over (depends on how much I want to drink tonight), is there someone I can get it to at the JNUC tomorrow as a donation to the event? Email me mbrown8705@gmail.com

-Matt Brown

coveyj1
New Contributor

The good news is that my beers arrived in tact - so I'm definitely in!

kevin5495
New Contributor III

Are there take out places near the Jamf office? There's Italian and Thai take out near Aloft where I'm staying. Eating before might make it less complicated.

Heady Topper comes in 16 oz cans, with 4 oz. portions we'd get about 32 pours from 8 cans. There's a liquor store and a market on Washington Ave. I'll see if they have something that will work.

I'm at andrewsk at champlain dot edu if anyone is walking or driving from aloft to keep me from getting lost.

Kaltsas
Contributor III

I will be driving back tomorrow night but I brought a 12 pack of Amana's finest for ya'll to enjoy.

charliwest
Contributor II

@mattbrow @kevin5495 i can totally be around to pick up ur gifts, thats amazing that your doing that! Thank you very much. You can ping me on slack (charliwest) or email david.c.west@me.com to arrange collection tomorrow? I'm in aloft.

Brock is sorting cups for us.

Dr_JAMF
New Contributor

Hey all,

I'll be heading over to the office around 3pm today and can take any bottles you would like to drop off at that time for refrigeration. I'll also make sure that we have sample cups.

Please bring something to share if you are looking to participate and please try to make it by 6pm so that we can get started herding the cats right away, and also so that we can ensure that you have office access. Our office connects to various government buildings so after 6pm security gets tighter.

As someone else mentioned eating before is probably the easiest, (and from a "I'm going to sample a bunch of beer" standpoint, probably advised) but we can definitely order in as well.

Kaltsas
Contributor III

Being unfamiliar with the JAMF offices, is there available parking?

csanback
New Contributor III

Now I'm really sad that I'm not going to JNUC.

lwindram
Contributor

Maybe I missed this in the #VENUE thread, but do we have an address for the JAMF offices? Are we heading to the 301 4th Ave S #1075 address?

And @charliwest - I'm guessing that running out of beer won't be a problem. Looking at @emilykausalik's spreadsheet it appears that most people are bringing more than they will be drinking.

charliwest
Contributor II

Yeah its on the mini event page, you're correct 301 4th Ave S #1075 Minneapolis, MN 55415, not sure about parking I'm afraid @Brock can you answer that please?

Brock
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

There is a parking ramp across from crooked pint or you could also just park In their lot.

Please use the 4th ave entrance to the office and take the elevator to the 10th floor.

jason_busch
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi all,

There is on-street, metered parking in front of the building at the address above (North Tower of The Grain Exchange) and nearby- don't park on the 3rd street side, they start ticketing cars there after 3:00 I believe

The nearest parking ramps are these two:
Gateway: http://www.alliedparkinginc.com/parking/gateway-parking-ramp
Haaf: http://www.alliedparkinginc.com/parking/gateway-parking-ramp

But we don't have a free parking lot, or anything like that. If you are already parked at the Guthrie, it's an easy 10 minute walk, I wouldn't drive over on such a nice day if you don't mind the walk. It's about 6 blocks from the front door of the Guthrie to our office- take the elevator to the 10th floor when you get here.

Kaltsas
Contributor III

Not sure I want to shlep a case of bottles that far without driving :)

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I think I'll walk since I don't have any bottles and I'm just taggin along for funsies. Anyone want to meet outside Aloft or something and walk over together? I can help carry a cooler or push a cooler or whatever. Maybe we can "borrow" an Aloft luggage cart…

kevin5495
New Contributor III

Lobby by the pool table at 5:30?

pblume
New Contributor

Is the plan to still start this thing at 5? Only asking because some comments make it sound like 6 is the start time an ill have to head to the airport befor then.

kevin5495
New Contributor III

My mistake, it is 5:00. Lobby at 4:30 then?

charliwest
Contributor II

Plan to start at 5, getting there before 6 is needed to make it easier to get in, if u arrive after 6 there is tsa level security to get through ;)

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

If folks want to arrive at 5-ish, I think starting congregating around 4:30 and leaving by 4:45 should work. I probably shouldn't lead, though, as I have no clue where the place is.

pulls up Google Maps for walking directions

arschebl
New Contributor

Ok.. 5:50ish it is.

charliwest
Contributor II

Yes lobby 4:30 is good, see you there

charliwest
Contributor II

In the lobby now

jimd
New Contributor II

On my way... trying to get some Boulevard beers from Kansas City...

jimd
New Contributor II

Left a few unopened bottles of Tank 7 Saison and Dark Truth Stout... I assume those found a good home...

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Hey @charliwest, the beer swap was an excellent idea. Thanks for starting what should be a new tradition for JNUC! I think we all got to try new things—for me, the Geuze was a very strange experience—but my favorite was the habañero chili beer from Country Boy Brewing. I'm contacting them to see if I can get more.

It was cool to see the JAMF Headquarters, too! Thanks, JAMF, for opening up your office to "the crazy ones" during JNUC 2015.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Sorry that we missed JNUC Beer Share... Ping me next time you are in Chicago - Half Acre Daisy Cutter from me

Not applicable

Definitely was a great event, good to run into an old buddy (nine years, Ben!), and what a great selection to sample from. Pliny the Elder!

Also big thanks to JAMF for hosting, it was a nice change of venue.

gus
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Best beer share ever!!! Thanks, everyone.

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

So the request has came back in to host this event once again for this years JNUC. Since most nights are typically filled with wonderful and applicable mini-events we put this on the Thursday night of JNUC last year, which is the final night of the event.

It shouldn't be an issue to host this community event at our new location in MPLS but I want to figure out some logistics first.

To get things reserved and plans made, should we aim for the same idea this year? Thursday Oct 20th, 2016 from 5pm - 9pm?

Thoughts, objections, what you're planning on bringing?

I know I have some whales i'd be happy to share.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

I have flight back to Chicago on Thursday...

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

I'm down! JAMF usually throws their own sponsored party on Wednesday night, and the staff spend Thursday evening cleaning up the Guthrie. Therefore, Thursday night becomes an after-party opportunity for a lot of attendees.

There are some great Wisconsin beers that are only distributed in Wisconsin--most notably, the offerings from New Glarus brewery. The closest distributor from Minneapolis is Spirit Seller Liquors in Hudson, WI. Or perhaps @mike.paul knows someone in Eau Claire that can smuggle in a few bottles. :-)

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@bradtchapman New Glarus (especially Stopped Cow) and 3 Sheeps are the best! I am on vacation in Wisconsin next week close to Sheboygan, looking forward to visit 3 Sheeps brewery are there Hops Haven restaurant

charliwest
Contributor II

I can't make this years JNUC, so also no bottle share for me :(
Take care of my baby all ;)
Also anyone coming back to EU after the share I would be very open to meeting up and trying anything u bring back from the US :)

Reno
New Contributor III

I'm game as well. The timing and location at JAMF works well. I'll bring a 2007 La Folie, plus whatever looks interesting in the cellar.

For any Minnesotans going to Hudson, if you've found the Spirit Seller you've likely already driven past the best bottle shop in the city - Historic Casanova Liquor. They also fill growlers of some awesome beers not available in MN.

coveyj1
New Contributor

I'm in as well!

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

Some people are pushing for moving the share to Tuesday since there isnt as many mini-events this year and a lot of people are leaving town Thursday.

If that works better for people I can easily have the office reserved Tuesday evening then.

And Casanova's is the bees knees.

There is another discussion about this over here as well

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

Sorry for hijacking the event, I didn't see any mention of it before so I decided to take charge and make an event and discussion.

Thanks for helping me out @mike.paul!

shawnis43
New Contributor III

Hey Guys,

If I attend this, would it be possible to ship my beer to JAMF HQ before hand? That way I won't have to pack it on the flight and carry it over. Maybe send it to @mike.paul