JSS Startup - Checking for tables...

monaronyc
Contributor

Howdy!

We had a tiny problem with our xServe (10.10.5) due to space, and everything went haywire. Got 6 GB of space back and now we can't seem to get the JSS to start back up. It's stuck on the painful 'Checking for tables...' progress bar. I have searched high and low with no avail. All the posts on this are outdated, at least a year or more, and none of the command lines are working to fix. Was wondering if there's anything new in fixing this problem ASAP. Please advise.

9 REPLIES 9

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@monaronyc

We'd want to take a look at the JAMFSoftwareServer.log in this case; it'll usually have an error of some sort that will help point us in the direction of what might be wrong.

I've opened up a case for you with your Technical Account Manager and will send an e-mail on that shortly so you can grab that log file and get it sent in to us to take a look at. Please note if your JAMFSoftwareServer.log is over 20MB in size, we may need to zip it up to get the file size a bit smaller or our e-mail system may reject the attachment.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

monaronyc
Contributor

@amanda.wulff

YES! Thank you! Will do. Checking now.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@monaronyc

Great, I'll keep an eye on the case.

Just so you're aware, both your TAM and I are at the JNUC today; I did let him know what's going on and that there is a case, so he's aware that your JSS is currently in a non-functional state as well.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

monaronyc
Contributor

For anyone wondering what we did to fix this. We ran this command in Terminal:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqlcheck/-u root -p --auto-repair --optimize jamfsoftware

BrentSlater
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi Guys,

I am getting this issues right now with our JSS 9.96.

it is 9:30am Sydney time so under huge pressure to get this back up ASAP.

I cannot find that path on our db server and I am not the person that originally set the server up...

@monaronyc Did you run that command on the DB server or on the JSS?

Cheers

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@BrentSlater9 You need to run the command on your MySQL server. On a unix system you can use the command whereis mysqlcheck to find the tool path you need for the repair command.

monaronyc
Contributor

@BrentSlater9 Ours is the same. JSS and database. But if you navigate to the Library folder on your JSS and look for the JSS folder, in it is a bin folder with the JSSDatabase Utility. You can start there. Restart MySQL and restart Tomcat from under the Utilities menu. Then launch your browser to your JSS URL. You'll probably see it repairing as it loads.

ssurma
New Contributor III

So I restarted the mysql process on the server and did everything as before and now I get this error:
mysql> use jamfsoftware;
Database changed
mysql> Repair Table mobile_device_management_commands;
ERROR 2013 (HY000): Lost connection to MySQL server during query
mysql>

gokoudes
New Contributor III

@ssurma Could be a few things, depending on your scenario. Are you hosting an on-prem JPS instance? Are MySQL, Tomcat, and your file distribution working off the same machine, or are these services separated?

If all your services are running on one machine, you might want to double-check MySQL after your restart, because your MySQL service might not be running. You could try this terminal command if you're running High Sierra to attempt a kickstart of the MySQL service:

sudo launchctl load -F /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.oracle.oss.mysql.mysqld.plist

Beyond this, you might want to contact your Jamf buddy --

Hope that helps a bit, at least.