SMC Reset - Problem Solving

boberito
Valued Contributor

Hello

This isn't exactly a JAMF question. Does anyone have any idea why machines need to have the SMC reset or what fails to cause the random weird issues (battery doesn't show up, fans blowing at 100%, slow skippy performance). I run a 1-to-1 program with about 450 Macs and I swear maybe once a week someone comes in with those issues. All we have to do is shut down the machine, press control+shift+option+power and it's fixed. But I'd love to know why the SMC fails and needs reset to maybe do some preventative things.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

NickKoval
Contributor
Contributor

Are you ...
- ... using any third party power adapters?
- ... plugging adapters into the computer first and the wall second?
- ... plugging computers into faulty power strips or UPS devices with bad batteries?
- ... using a cart or a charging station that may have a bad cable in it?

boberito
Valued Contributor

-Who knows it's student machines but probably not seeing the number of students that come through
-See above, who knows
-Also who knows
-No carts or charging stations.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@boberito We're in our 2nd year of a MacBook Air 1-to-1 program, and have recently started getting students reporting the issues you describe. As to what triggers the problem, I've not had any luck fining a common factor either. What I have found however is that the SMC reset doesn't work while a firmware password is set. So for anyone else searching for SMC Reset issues:

• Turn off firmware passwords before doing an SMC reset

boberito
Valued Contributor

Weird, SMC reset works a lot of the time for us and we have firmware passwords. Sometimes when it doesn't work, we take the bottom off, unplug the battery, push the power button, plug the battery in...SMC reset on stubborn ones.

Resetting the PRAM doesn't work with firmware on though.

I think I've realized a little more reason why the SMC screws up. If you push and hold the power button and do weird things like that, it seems to screw it up. I know that's not very specific but turn on the machine, then off, then on with just the power button. Boom SMC needs reset. But I know that's not specific.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@boberito What I miss most with firmware passwords on is being able to start up in verbose mode.

The SMC reset failure with firmware passwords on has been consistent with our 11" Mid 2013 MacBook Airs running 10.10.5. I haven't had to reset any of our Early 2014 machines yet, so I'm curious if it may be something model specific.