Can I assign a VPP license to a user that has a personal device?

lehmanp00
Contributor III

User has a personal device and needs access to a district purchased app. We do not allow BYOD enrollments into JSS.

Can I just make a manual user object with his email address in JSS and send out the invite and assign the app? Or is enrollment of a device a requirement?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mtruskowski
New Contributor III

Yes that should work fine. As long as the user accepts the invite with the same Apple ID they use on their personal device, when you assign the app to them (obviously using a user based assignment, not an device assignment) they will be able to download it from the Purchased tab in the App Store.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mtruskowski
New Contributor III

Yes that should work fine. As long as the user accepts the invite with the same Apple ID they use on their personal device, when you assign the app to them (obviously using a user based assignment, not an device assignment) they will be able to download it from the Purchased tab in the App Store.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Thank you. The issue I had was the user was not showing in the VPP assignment list. I had put that user into the same site and then all was good.