Problems adding Office 2016 dock icons?

AdamH
New Contributor II

So I'm having an issue adding the app icons for the Office 20161 suite. I create the dock icon like I'v always done, but when I actually have casper add it, it doesn't show up.
Has anyone else seen this?
Ideas?

12 REPLIES 12

Jae
New Contributor III

This is for icons on the dock? or for the icons for the Applications folder? Are you doing this via dockutil or just from the doc items Casper Admin/ JSS?

grahamfw
New Contributor III

I had the same issue when the dock icons were named the exact same in the JSS. If you have the 2011 icons in there, change them to a unique name and then you should have no problem adding the new icons.

AdamH
New Contributor II

This is just for Dock icons. The apps look fine in the applications folder, you can manually add the app to the dock. But when using Casper to add the dock item, it doesn't show up.
I do have 2011 icons that do work, but although they have the sam actual APP name, the path is different.

Jae
New Contributor III

ec172c908b5942a6b502649dbe31977a

Between office 2011 and 2016 the default directories are different but it shows in the docs you upload to the JSS. Did you install Office 2016 in a different location other then /Applications ?

AdamH
New Contributor II

Nope, installed in the default location.
My icon path is the same as yours.

6c0d10d407e14d5e868f6b080ca57db5

cindySingh
New Contributor III

Hi @AdamH Have you created the package using Composer? Its pretty simple, deploy the dockutil utility and let it do the job. If you deploy dockutil, later for other apps, you can utilise it in future. However, here is what I have done but if you are a script maniac, you can improve this script. I just did it for my friend so couldn't give much time to it.

Here is what I have included. You can choose a better location for dockutil.
1b40740d175f4036953f45d42ffc85f0

and the script is below:

I had to make it sleep for 45, can't recall why but there was a work around. See, what suits you.

#!/bin/sh
## postinstall

pathToScript=$0
pathToPackage=$1
targetLocation=$2
targetVolume=$3

sleep 45

/etc/dockutil --add /Applications/Microsoft Word.app
sleep 3
/etc/dockutil --add /Applications/Microsoft Excel.app
sleep 3
/etc/dockutil --add /Applications/Microsoft PowerPoint.app
sleep 3
/etc/dockutil --add /Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app

exit 0      ## Success
exit 1      ## Failure

But as I said you can make it look awesome and work better :)
This script relaunches dock every time it adds an icon, but it was liked by my client, he says he can see things happening, so I left it the way it is.
Hope this helps!

Look
Valued Contributor III

I agree on using dockutil, I resisted for quite some time (prefer to use built in tools when availabe) but eventually gave up and created a launch agent to run dockutil once for each user shortly after first log in and populate the dock exactly how we wanted.

Chubs
Contributor

This worked for me in casper under Dock Items in 10.11.1:

/Applications/Microsoft Word.app

Pulled the icons and everything. Did you use Composer to create the installer? Or did you just use the pkg from M$?

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@Look

I know the JSS can populate dock items for everyone, even people who haven't logged in. Does dockutil not do that, does it have to be once per user, per login? I just started using dockutil today and personalized it to our environment, now I've got to test it.

Look
Valued Contributor III

@Abdiaziz I don't know that it has it as a built in function but I used a launch agent and a flag file to show that it had already been run.
I also used a bunch of plist files that I read to populate the dock dynamically based on user AD groups, but that's a whole new bundle of complication...
One think I did find is that on 10.11 you have to wait quite a while before running dockutil (maybe 20 seconds after the desktop becomes visibile) otherwise something in 10.11 overwrites it and the settings don't stick, this is my delay routine at the start of my script.

Run_Count=0
Run_Delay=5
Run_Limit=10
while [[ ! "$(ps -c -u $USER | awk /Finder/)" ]] && [[ $Run_Count -lt $Run_Limit ]]; do
sleep $Run_Delay
let Run_Count=$Run_Count+1
done
sleep 10

Basically it waits in increments of 5 seconds until the Finder is launched as the current $USER (up to a max of 50 seconds) and then waits a further 10 seconds before running the dockutil commands, prior to 10.11 the delay didn't need to be as long and it generally worked without the additional sleep.
I just touch a file in ~/Library/Preferences as a flag and then check for the file on any future launches to decide whether to skip the dock populate or not, it's quite good like this as you can easily repopulate simply by deleting the flag.

Look
Valued Contributor III

Oh and start with a --remove all --no-restart
then all of your various population commands always using the --no-restart
--add PATH_GOES_HERE --no-restart
then finish with --add /Applications/Launchpad.app --position first

It will wipe the dock completely, add all your various items, then finish by readding the Launchpad and restarting the dock (it will disappear briefly and reappear populated).

Marcus_Martin
New Contributor

Did anyone fine a solution to this issue without using a 3rd party tool?