Just started having Mac users complain that we're setting "Log out after [ ] minutes of activity."

Lindstrom
New Contributor

This is the strangest thing. I've done no real changes to my profiles. And the "Log out after .." isn't even a profile I can set. This has been seen on 10.9.x and 10.10.x machines (there are too few 10.11.x machines in our environment at this moment to comment).

We have a small (thankfully at this moment) set of users that suddenly acquired having "Log out after [ ] .." checked in the Security & Privacy -> Advanced. And of course if they uncheck it. It checks it again. As if it is being managed.

I can make it go away by having the user delete the MDM profile, and having them log out and log back in, but this is only a temporary and rather inelegant solution.

Has anyone seen this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aziz
Valued Contributor

Did you upgrade your JSS recently? I've heard people say the " Log out users after: x amount of time" option is enabled by default (it was for me).

Double check in Computer > Configuration Profiles > Login Window > Options > Log out users after:

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Aziz
Valued Contributor

Did you upgrade your JSS recently? I've heard people say the " Log out users after: x amount of time" option is enabled by default (it was for me).

Double check in Computer > Configuration Profiles > Login Window > Options > Log out users after:

unknown_err
New Contributor III

Do you have any login window configuration profile? After we upgraded to 9.81 we saw that happen and in the configuration profile that option was checked without us choosing it. Check and see if it's there and uncheck it, then apply it to the existing computers and it should take care of it.

**Edit: I see it was already answered right before I posted this.

zachamburg
New Contributor

Thanks for the info, that solved our problem!

Lindstrom
New Contributor

Thanks, Adbiaziz. I could have swore I checked this a few days ago. And it wasn't checked. I seriously hate when things randomly change. =( Hopefully this is halt this madness...

dyyuan
New Contributor

We had the same issue. the profile has been around for at least a year without the logging out option checked. not sure what changed.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@dyyuan i think this changed with 9.8 or 9.81.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

this auto logout works, BUT if you have an application like Word/Excel open with a file NOT saved - it does not auto logout the user, it prompts them to 'SAVE' the file and counts down a minute, if the minute passes with the document NOT SAVED, it continues to keep the user logged in with another prompt saying the logout was canceled because Office canceled logout. So if the user is not there to save the file, they remain logged in.

I have just now saved the Word file, but have kept the file open and am waiting my 20 minutes auto-logout to see if it will now auto-logout the user after the file has been saved.

is there anyway to force the logout if a file has NOT been saved ?????

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

So if you have a document open such as Word and the user did not save it, the auto logout will NOT work.

if the user 'did' save the document and has the document still open, auto logout will work !!!

georgecm12
Contributor III

Huh. What do you know... the same problem ("Auto logout after XX minutes of inactivity" turning itself on) bit me as well.

Interestingly enough, only one user reported it (and to compound our confusion, the user reported the computer was "randomly shutting down").

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

Hey all,

This is an issue that we're aware of, and have filed under D-009686. With it, what we saw was, after upgrading to 9.81, profiles that had a Login Window payload ended up having that "Log out users after X minutes" field checked (and it defaults to 30 minutes), even if it had not been checked prior.

It looks like it's on the block to be fixed with 9.82.

The workaround in the meantime is to check profiles with a Login Window payload and edit the Login Window payload >> Options tab and uncheck the "Log out users after" box >> then re-deploy to all machines.

If you have additional questions regarding this behavior, please get in touch with your Technical Account Manager either by sending an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com, giving them a call, or using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support