Firefox 42 breaks when adding autoconfig

Retrac
Contributor

So this morning I had a request to update Firefox from v39 to the latest v42, fairly simple process historically. Copy in two files into the relevant directories of the firefox.app bundle, drop into composer and hey presto we have updates disabled, import bookmarks prompt disabled etc etc.

Except when I now copy the same files into the same directories I used for v39 the application now fails to launch, OS X says its damaged and should be moved to the trash.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

0191b7f365694badaf26ac5118a88e2b

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

daz_wallace
Contributor III

I'd also highly suggest looking at using CCK2 and Greg Neagle's AutoPKG recipe to automate this.

That way it'll spit out an installer package, with your settings all ready to go.

[plug]

my blog post on the subject

[/plug]

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

I have seen this in the past. This is because of the code signing and Gatekeeper. What I have done to fix this: - download a new copy of Firefox and drag it into /Applications
- open Firefox once
- place the files - open Firefox again

With these steps you should be able to get Firefox working.

daz_wallace
Contributor III

I'd also highly suggest looking at using CCK2 and Greg Neagle's AutoPKG recipe to automate this.

That way it'll spit out an installer package, with your settings all ready to go.

[plug]

my blog post on the subject

[/plug]

Retrac
Contributor

Thanks for the fast responses gents.

I've just tried downloading a fresh copy of Firefox 42 (English British version) and installed on a fresh Mac. Opened once and saw the Gatekeeper verify message popup.

Once it had opened successfully I then quit and added in my custom files.

Now Firefox attempts to launch but then quits almost straight away, I see the open dot appear in the dock but the application never actually appears, the bouncing icon and dot simply stop and disappear.

I'll have a look at AutoPKG now as that looks pretty cool :)

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

CCK2 to generate autoconfig files will fix it

use gregs autopkg recipe to automate it so you don't have to worry bout it

also depending on your environment, maybe the ESR version of FF is better for you?

Retrac
Contributor

CCk2 and autoPKG worked a treat.

I now have a working deployable Firefox 42 (English British) package in Casper.

Thanks gents