Endnote Updater

dmw3
Contributor III

Has anyone deployed the Endnote Updater.app, either by self service or push?

If so how have you been able to as it needs user intervention to run.

http://download.endnote.com/updates/17.0/EndNoteX74UpdateInstaller.zip

1 REPLY 1

haynes
New Contributor

It's been a while so you may have figured it out already, but I had to find a way to push it since I maintain a lab space. Download the .zip, right click on the EndNote X7.4 Updater.app and select Show Package Contents. Navigate to Contents/Resources/ and grab the applePatch and Patchfile.patch items.

With those two components you can patch with the following command:
applyPatch -d "Applications/EndNote X7" -i Patchfile.patch. You will, of course, need to specify the location of applyPatch and Patchfile.patch in the previous command.

Once complete, you'll want to copy the latest Cite While You Write bundle: cp -R "/Applications/EndNote X7/Cite While You Write/EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle" "/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Startup/Word/"

The downside of EndNote patching is that if you're more than one release behind you can't just patch the latest version and call it a day. You'll need to patch each version until you're running the latest. I have a deployment script that just removes the existing version from /Applications, copies the initial release, and runs through each patch file one at a time (not a long process). You could modify this process or use an entirely different one, but this has worked fine for me.