No mountable filesystems / Cant mount any .dmg

ant89
Contributor

Has anyone seen this? When trying to mount a dmg, i get the no mountable filesystems error.

Very odd error. A workaround i found was to jamf removeFramework, restart - re-enroll... after a while, the error will show up again.

Also what is weird is that if i duplicate the .dmg the new one will mount once. Close it and will get the error as shown below.

and of course, since this error keeps happening, my self service policies that are .dmg also fail.

ffa11cf842de49f9bbd3334bbeda0290

Any help would be appreciated. I searched the web, but did not see anyone with the same problem.

21 REPLIES 21

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I'm getting something very similar. I'm testing my first El Capitan image (10.11.1 and JSS 9.81) and so far everything is looking good. The enrollment went fine and it installed all the post-enrollment policies I set for it. Then I went to Self Service and tried to install a policy that I created with Composer. I watched as it tried and tried and tried again then failed. This is a package i've never had any problems with - ever - on 10.9 and 10.10. I looked at the logs and it said "no mountable file systems" when trying to mount the .dmg. It gave the same error on each separate DP I have. I rebooted several times just to make sure it wasn't something stuck in memory or kerberos or /Volumes. Every time I tried to install it through Self Service it failed with the same error. Then I manually mounted the distribution point on the server and copied the dmg to the desktop. I then double clicked on it and it mounted just fine. There is nothing wrong with the dmg. It appears that something is getting jumbled when coming down through Self Service. All the policies that are automatically pushed from JSS via enrollment, check-in, or events work fine. I tried a few other policies in Self Service and it is hit or miss. Some policies always work, other policies never work. All the ones that fail to mount via self service are created via Composer. The ones that work are a mixture of pkg files that install and dogs created with Composer.

I'm stumped. The only thing that is different from other computers is the OS. I haven't tried removing the framework and re-enrolling yet (or just removing MDM) because that seems like a very drastic and very strange fix for something dealing with mounting DMGs.

-- Another bit of weirdness I was just reminded of: I went to a website to download a dmg for a program I'm testing. I mounted that DMG just fine on this same 10.11.1 Mac. I rebooted just for the heck of it. When I went back to my Downloads folder and tried to mount the very same DMG that worked before, I got the same "no mountable file systems" error. The dmg was forever unusable after that. I had to re-download it again and mount that new dmg.

-@acorn What OS and JSS versions are you running?

rfadul
New Contributor II

I am also experiencing this issue on OS X 10.11.1 and JSS version 9.81

ant89
Contributor

@AVmcclint - I am on 10.10.5 jss 9.81 -- also happened on 10.11.

I "think" this may have been due to a policy we had set to run every week which was a .dmg. some how mounting that dmg and having set to run every week messed up something.

Since then we have removed that policy and dmg. I also created that dmg into a package and only set it to run on machines that do not have it.

I had the exact same problem you mentioned here: " -- Another bit of weirdness I was just reminded of: I went to a website to download a dmg for a program I'm testing. I mounted that DMG just fine on this same 10.11.1 Mac. I rebooted just for the heck of it. When I went back to my Downloads folder and tried to mount the very same DMG that worked before, I got the same "no mountable file systems" error. The dmg was forever unusable after that. I had to re-download it again and mount that new dmg."

and to add to that bit of wierdness, i bet if you duplicate that DMG, you will be able to open the duplicated one once. if you try again it will fail... very odd.

Hope this helps. I have not had the dmg mount error since i removed my policy.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I recently updated my El Capitan tester to 10.11.2 and SO FAR the dmg mounting issue seems to have disappeared. I need to try a few more tester Macs with more policies to be sure.

tknighton
New Contributor II

There's a configuration profile to prevent mounting any additional drives. This is to prevent people from running programs off CDs or USB drives.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I've heard of that, but the only limiting we're doing is to prevent users from writing to external drives or writable optical media. Even if we were, why would it only affect certain dmgs and not others? I'm really hoping it was a bug in 10.11.1. I won't feel totally comfortable until I get more El Capitan machines into testing.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

It looks like I spoke too soon. The problem still exists on my El Capitan test Macs. I'm updating to 10.11.3 now to see if maybe that will cure it.

-POST 10.11.3 update: nope. It didn't fix it. It is still very random for which dmgs will mount and which ones won't. This is bad. Very bad.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Here's the JSS log for one of the failed installs:

Executing Policy Malwarebytes 1.1.3.72 (Oct 22, 2015)...
[STEP 1 of 3]
Mounting SERVER1 to /Volumes/CasperShare...
[STEP 2 of 3]
Caching package Malwarebytes 1.1.3.72.dmg...
Installing Malwarebytes 1.1.3.72.dmg...
Error: The package "Malwarebytes 1.1.3.72.dmg" could not be mounted (no mountable file systems).
Retrying using distribution point SERVER2...
Mounting SERVER2 to /Volumes/CasperShare 1...
Caching package Malwarebytes 1.1.3.72.dmg...
Installing Malwarebytes 1.1.3.72.dmg...
Error: The package "Malwarebytes 1.1.3.72.dmg" could not be mounted (no mountable file systems).

None of these failures happen with 10.9 or 10.10 Macs. It is specific to El Capitan. All the dmg files are created the same way. And I'm finding that it's not just random dmg files, it's ALL dmgs in Self Service. (The random successes I had before were in fact pkg files - not dmg)

I've rebooted, updated to 10.11.3, purged user cache, purged system cache, logged in as a different user, logged in as a local admin user.

Here is what I tried outside of Self Service via terminal:

bash-3.2# jamf policy -event iterm -verbose
 verbose: JAMF binary already symlinked
 verbose: JAMF agent already symlinked
 verbose: Checking for an existing instance of this application...
Checking for policies triggered by "iterm"...
 verbose: Checking for active ethernet connection...
 verbose: No active ethernet connection found...
 verbose: The Management Framework Settings are up to date.
 verbose: Found 1 matching policies.
 verbose: Removing any cached policies for this trigger.
 verbose: Parsing servers...
 verbose: Parsing Policy iTerm 2.1.1 (465)...
 verbose: Parsing Policy iTerm 2.1.1 (465)...
Executing Policy iTerm 2.1.1...
    Mounting SERVER1 (server1.company.com) to /Volumes/CasperShare...
 verbose: Result of mount attempt: Password for server1.company.com:
 verbose: Result code of mount attempt: 0
 verbose: Starting install...
 verbose: Determining package type...
 verbose: This is a standard DMG package...
    Installing iTerm 2.1.1.dmg...
 verbose: Mounting DMG iTerm 2.1.1.dmg as Shadow file...
 verbose: Result of hdiutil mount: hdiutil: mount failed - no mountable file systems

Error: An error occurred attempting to mount the package "iTerm 2.1.1.dmg".
 verbose: not mounted
    Retrying using distribution point SERVER2...
 verbose: Will mount at /Volumes/CasperShare 1
    Mounting SERVER2 (server2.company.com) to /Volumes/CasperShare 1...
 verbose: Result of mount attempt:  - The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.jamfsoftware.core.errors error 1.)
 verbose: Result code of mount attempt: -1000
    Installing iTerm 2.1.1.dmg...
 verbose: Mounting DMG iTerm 2.1.1.dmg as Shadow file...
 verbose: Result of hdiutil mount: hdiutil: mount failed - no mountable file systems

Error: An error occurred attempting to mount the package "iTerm 2.1.1.dmg".
Submitting log to https://casper.company.com:8443/
Unmounting file server...

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I just completely re-imaged and enrolled a 10.11 Mac and it seemed like it was working. Policies with DMGs were installing as intended. I also tried policies with PKGs just to make sure and they were working. I rebooted a few times and tried again and now it seems to have returned. DMGs still fail to mount via Self Service and terminal.

I've excluded the test 10.11 Macs from every config profile to make sure it's not some odd setting mucking it up. I've even rebuilt some of the DMGs using Composer 9.81. No change in behavior. The weird part is that it starts off working but then eventually stops.

All these policies with DMGs work just fine with 10.9 and 10.10 Macs.

gabester
Contributor III

Encountering the same issues...
Policies fail with "Error: An error occurred attempting to mount the package..."

One restrictions payload which explicitly allows mounting of DMG read-only.

jamf policy -event trigger -verbose results in:

verbose: JAMF binary already symlinked
verbose: JAMF agent already symlinked
verbose: Checking for an existing instance of this application...
Checking for policies triggered by "__" for user "__"...
verbose: Removing any cached policies for this trigger.
verbose: Parsing servers...
verbose: Parsing Policy __ (#)...
verbose: The Management Framework Settings are up to date.
verbose: Found # matching policies.
Executing Policy __
Mounting DistributionPoint (ip.or.dns.addr) to /Volumes/share...
verbose: Result of mount attempt: Password for ip.or.dns.addr:
verbose: Result code of mount attempt: 0
Installing __.dmg...
verbose: Mounting DMG __.dmg as Shadow file...
verbose: Result of hdiutil mount: hdiutil: mount failed - no mountable
file systems
Error: An error occurred attempting to mount the package "__.dmg".

At least a few Macs still on 10.10.5; incidence seems to have begun more than a month ago.

A little trip down memory lane - http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20040914094210758

sudo hdiutil attach .dmg** has consistently worked for us which makes me think the issue may be permissions related.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I think I found the cause of my particular problem. I had to create a Config Profile to block write access to external drives due to security requirements. This config profile in combination with our distribution points being served from Windows 2008 and 2012 servers seems to prevent DMGs from being recognized. When I disable that config profile, DMGs suddenly work again. As soon as I turn it back on, they fail. I sent the config profile to my JAMF Buddy and he verified that the problem is reproducible on his end. Here is the profile in its entirety:
3073f5890d31431999cea7cd5fcbd2ec
If you have anything like this setup in your system, take a look at that.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

If you encounter this same issue, please notify your JAMF Buddy and mention issue number D-010234. The more people who have this problem, the better chance there is they'll fix it.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

hey @AVmcclint can you file it here:
To submit bugs:
http://goo.gl/forms/tEvpXJrZaj

To view defects peruse through here:
https://goo.gl/zTdvwT

The more people contribute the better in case others want to look up defects. All community effort.

cdoublejj
New Contributor II

I'm having this same problem on Mavericks 10.9 can't mount any DMG and reinstalling os make no change HOWEVER all the other macs weather it be 10.9 mavericks or 10.10 yosemite do NOT have this problem before or after enrolling.

dprakash
New Contributor III

yep we use config profiles to block access for external drives, getting the issue as well, started happening after we moved our JSS to Windows Server 2012

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

are you using any sort of DLP software? We get this error from time to time with Digital Guardian running. It was a problem on their 5.x agent a few years ago, and now we are seeing it on 10.11 and 7.x agent.

ant89
Contributor

I had this issue pop up again. Found the problem. it was a configuration profile -> Restrictions -> Media. None of these were checked marked. I checked allow for all of em and it fixed the DMG mount error.

b1f7e9035e8c45a78ec3257fddfbc557

guillaumegete
New Contributor III

Got the same issue, and indeed, the solution was to remove the profile then set it up properly.

Thanks everyone in the thread :)

el2493
Contributor III

Thanks to @tknighton, @AVmcclint, and @ant89 for your help! Disk Images was unchecked for me and it was preventing me from mounting DMGs.

hutber
New Contributor

Hey Guys

Banging my head against the wall here. How on earth do you access config profiles on OSX?!

el2493
Contributor III

@hutber , when you ask how you access them, do you mean where are they stored on a computer? If you just need to see them you can go into System Preferences>Profiles, or as per @mm2270 in https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/12080/where-are-configuration-profiles-stored
, they may be stored in /private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Store/ConfigProfiles.binary (that may have changed in the 4 years since he answered it). Regardless of where they're stored, though, you can find information in https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/9498/remove-individual-os-x-configuration-profile-via-c... about how you could remove an individual Configuration Profile from the command line (in case that's what you're ultimately trying to do).