Build Issues After Printer Change for Base Image

MTFIDjamf
Contributor II

In our setup, we have a base configuration, and then Smart Configs after. The base build contains the Yosemite 10.10.5 OS and the applications needed by everyone, the smart configs handle the domain bind and a few site specific applications.

The base also contains our one printer configuration. Everything was working fine (and has been for 2 months) until I changed the printer name in the JSS console. After this slight change, when machines come out of the imaging process they are all looking for admin credentials to 'repair the library for some applications', the credentials are required about 15 times to make things right; or at least seem right.

If I remove the printer from the imaging process, the builds complete without issue. Each and every printer I now create and attempt to add to the imaging process causes this issue. No printer....things are the way they were last week.

Add the printer later via Self-Service, no issue.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas how a simple printer name change could cause this?

6 REPLIES 6

rhoward
Contributor

Have you compiled the Smart Configuration?Are you imaging over target mode or Netboot? I noticed we had issues with something similar until we compiled all of our smart configurations.

MTFIDjamf
Contributor II

@rhoward It is not compiled. No TM or NetBoot. The techs boot off of a USB stick to run Casper Imaging, select their config and let it go.

The Base itself is an AutoDMG base DMG that copies over, some applications and scripts run before and after the Casper reboot. The Smart Config piece literally only binds to the correct domain (by region) and installs a certain media player required for international sites.

None of this has been a compiled base at any point and was working fine until today...

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

How are you adding printers?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Sounds strange. Could try adding the printer at restart after imaging with lpadmin -p <Printer Name> -E -v <Printer URL> -P <Path to PPD>.

I'd also do a database repair just in case something has broken there.

MTFIDjamf
Contributor II

@bpavlov Method 1: Create the printer in OSX, import into Casper Admin, apply printer to our Configuration.
Method 2: This is for a device URI which is an LPD path. Create printer within the JSS Console, apply to the configuration.

MTFIDjamf
Contributor II

@davidacland Adding the printer after imaging, upon first login is now doing the same thing, same error messages about repairing the library. Does that printer add line still work if the printer is not a PPD?

I have never had to run a DB repair, is it easy to do? Any dangers?