Self Service not completely working

Seven
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I've opened a ticket with support about this, but I'd like to know if other people are having the same issue. Note that in our environment, we're using a cloud-hosted JSS.

What Happens:
Either of two things:
a.) When using the enrollment URL, the downloaded QuickAdd package will claim that it failed. However, the Self Service.app and the JAMF binaries are in place and will run.

b.) When using a QuickAdd package made from recon, the Self Service installer will claim to have successfully installed. The Self Service.app and the JAMF binaries are in place and will run.

However, for both scenarios policies triggered from the command line work in full but policies launched directly from Self Service.app immediately fail (no error is show in the JSS).

Affected Machines
It affects all sorts of machines (out-of-the-box, BYOD, machines with custom images), but does not seem to be limited a particular OS version.

It seems that the JSS is handing off bad QuickAdd packages/data. And custom created QuickAdd packages are suffering a similar defect too.

Question
Are any of you having either the same or a similar issue?

Notes
Please be aware that we've really dug in with support on here. We've looked through the logs and all of the normal usual suspects. And there are some things that we're still examining or waiting to hear back on.

So I'm specifically trying to find people with either the same or similar issue, not necessarily troubleshooting steps unless you've got a really unique idea that we can test.

5 REPLIES 5

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

What does the jamf.log say?

Located at /var/log/jamf.log

Seven
New Contributor III

Errors are not generated for the local policies that fail to launch.

Also, please be aware that we've really dug in with support on here. We've looked through the logs and all of the normal usual suspects.

So I'm specifically trying to find people with either the same or similar issue, not necessarily troubleshooting steps unless you've got a really unique idea that we can test.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi, we've had similar issues on past installs (we're an MSP).

It really sounds like a broken install of the JSS. The QuickAdd package come from the JSS, no NetBoot or distribution points involved. Assuming the database is ok, I would have the webapp redeployed.

If the setup isn't really live yet, I would probably trash the database as well and reinstall the whole lot from scratch, but my gut feeling is that it's webapp related.

Seven
New Contributor III

@davidacland Thanks. At this point, I'm pretty convinced the cloud-based JSS has some sort of corruption.

Seven
New Contributor III

After a very lengthy and in-depth series of troubleshooting steps (hundreds of e-mails, some escalations, and quite a few live troubleshooting sessions), the underlying problem was never determined: enrollment worked, but Self Service could not run policies.

Ultimately, this was resolved when our cloud instance was upgraded to the newest release (9.82.1450135286.c). The cause remained a mystery.