Script to Update iTunes?

cgott
New Contributor

Anyone out there have a script to have a computer go out and grab the most recent version of iTunes? I'm trying to avoid creating new DMGs of common software and push that off onto the individual computers. I've found scripts for Firefox and Chrome (thanks JAMFNation users!), but haven't found anything for iTunes. Is there a reason for this? Am I just unable to find it?

Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

roiegat
Contributor III

In theory you could use the software update command:

sudo softwareupdate --install iTunes*

That should look at the software updates available and only install any itune related ones.

UPDATE: just tested it, doesn't look like it likes the wildcard. So you'd need to script it to find the actual package name from the list.

sean
Valued Contributor

Probably can't find scripts because it is available through softwareupdate.

Try looking for Software Updates tips instead.

sean
Valued Contributor

If you are running 10.9 or higher, you don't need sudo, a standard User can install using softwareupdate

mthakur
Contributor

@sean

If you are running 10.9 or higher, you don't need sudo, a standard User can install using softwareupdate

Are you sure? Here's what the man page for softwareupdate(8) says:

softwareupdate requires admin authentication for all commands except --list. If you run softwareupdate as a normal admin user, you will be prompted for a password where required. Alternatively, you can run softwareupdate as root and avoid all further authentication prompts.

sean
Valued Contributor

Yup, from Mavericks Developer Preview 4 documentation. Unless you have chosen to create a profile to prevent it.

Starting in Developer Preview 4, non-admin users will be allowed to install and update software from the Mac App Store. This functionality can be disabled with a profile that sets the “restrict-store-require-admin-to-install” key to true (boolean) in the com.apple.appstore domain.

AppStore Profile

Would of course be good if Apple updated the man page to reflect this!