REST API Computer Network Adapters

cat123
New Contributor

Hello, I am using the Casper REST API to populate our CMDB in ServiceNow.

I am querying each computer record and gathering details using this Resource URL.

https://your.jssserver.com:8443/JSSResource/computers/serialnumber/$serialnumber

This resource has a good amount of information.

However, I am looking for more information on the specific Network Adapters that are attached to each computer.

I only seem to have <mac_address> <ip_address> and <alt_mac_address>. Is there any more information on each network adapter such as a model number?

Our CMDB has an entirely separate table for Network Adapters and I would like to populate it with more details other than just the Mac Address. I want to get a value for "name" and/or "model name".

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The Casper Suite doesn't capture that information natively that I'm aware of. If you want to gather data on the attached adapter types, names and other information, you'll likely need to create an Extension Attribute or two or three to capture that. Then you should be able to pull that info using the API. You might try looking through system_profiler, or view the output from the command networksetup -listallhardwareports to start with to see if they have the info you're looking for.

We have a couple of Extension Attributes that capture any attached USB Ethernet and Thunderbolt Ethernet dongle MAC addresses for example. But given that some inventory data is a bit transient in nature, attached adapters being one such example, if the adapter isn't connected at the time the Mac gets recon'ed, its not going to show up with anything for it the Mac record.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The Casper Suite doesn't capture that information natively that I'm aware of. If you want to gather data on the attached adapter types, names and other information, you'll likely need to create an Extension Attribute or two or three to capture that. Then you should be able to pull that info using the API. You might try looking through system_profiler, or view the output from the command networksetup -listallhardwareports to start with to see if they have the info you're looking for.

We have a couple of Extension Attributes that capture any attached USB Ethernet and Thunderbolt Ethernet dongle MAC addresses for example. But given that some inventory data is a bit transient in nature, attached adapters being one such example, if the adapter isn't connected at the time the Mac gets recon'ed, its not going to show up with anything for it the Mac record.