Software Catalogue Management

5kinner
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I was wondering what if anything people use for software catalogue management. We're currently in a project developing service now but I'm unsure where that is going and if it can provide what I think we need.

I believe there is a piece of the puzzle missing, some tool/app where a user is able to search for software we own and is approved and can be deployed there and then. We have a request/approval system in place at the moment but it's far from ideal. Users can make a request or someone with access can, but there is no way of knowing if we have similar already approved software available.

Oh this will be used for windows/Mac software.

3 REPLIES 3

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

Many ITIL/ITSM oriented service desk solutions (Freshservice, Sysaid, ServiceNow and ServiceNow Express) have a service catalog.

Users choose from a catalog of items which can be either services or actual physical items to be purchased. Their managers are asked for approval and then whoever fulfills the requests handles the deployment.

I'd look at these options as part of a larger overhaul of your help desk/service desk needs.

daniel_behan
Contributor III

If our software is site licensed and doesn't require any additional configuration or entering of serial numbers, we leave it available in Self Service.

For other software, we use ServiceNow and when the request is approved, the user get placed in a group in AD. Casper deploys the software based on smart group membership in which a user is a member of an application group, but the software isn't installed.

5kinner
New Contributor III

Thanks for the replies,

Adam, we are configuring a service catalog to do exactly that in ServiceNow. But for example a user wants to request cyberduck, a question is asked is there something similar already approved? The user has no idea! In ServiceNow can the service catalog be categorised? I basically want the user to do most the leg work. We've had requests for software that we would have to acquire, when there is another viable piece of software already available to them. This is the information we need to get to the user.

I hope that makes sense!