Documenting policies

Parm
New Contributor II

Hey Guys,

Does anyone document their policies so that other members of the support team have a reference to what each policy does?
If so, how do you document, do you use any particular software/app to do this?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We're an MSP so in the cases where we are handing a Casper system over to internal IT, we document everything in Word. It's not ideal but at least we get the information across.

I did create a feature request to accommodate notes in policies that seems to be the more obvious place to hold the information (a bit like packages), but it was marked as a duplicate and closed :(

psliequ
Contributor III

There's not a lot of room in the UI for it, but as a workaround to @davidacland's feature request I'll be very descriptive in the title of the policy itself as to what it's for. The same goes for smart groups. This turns out pretty nicely formatted in the policy summary window.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Since we are a Google Apps house I use a Google Site to document policies and other JSS things.

dwandro92
Contributor III

We don't document all of our policies for lower levels of support, but we will sometimes create knowledgebase articles which direct the support agent to run a Self Service policy during troubleshooting. This documentation is stored in our internal service desk system. As for the documentation software, I recently discovered Clarify and would highly recommend it to anyone creating and maintaining documentation.

Parm
New Contributor II

Hey guys,

Thanks for your responses, Clarify looks interesting......

I think the idea of having more space for a description in the JSS is a good idea, I also want something separate from the JSS - so Clarify or Dozuki are the current avenues of interest.