Deploying CrashPlan ProE issues

bbot
Contributor

We're in the middle of deploying CrashPlans to both our Mac and PC clients. We're able to push out hundreds of windows machines with no issues.

I followed this guide - http://resources.jamfsoftware.com/documents/technical-papers/Deploying-CrashPlan-PRO-with-the-Casper-Suite.pdf

Our policy is doing the following:
Cache .custom install folder to /Library/Application Support/CrashPlan folder
user= last -1 | awk '{print $1}' (there's a ` before the last. It's not showing up for some reason.
CP_USER_HOME="/Users/$user"
userGroup=id -gn "$user"
CP_USER_NAME="$user"

Install crashplan proe Script to launch menu bar.

In the beginning, we began deploying to 1-10 users at a time and had no issues on Mac. Yesterday we tried deploying to about ~30-50 users at a time and about 1 in 3 are not enrolling into CrashPlan. The app installs, the .custom folder is there, but the user's machine does not show up in CrashPlan.

I'm looking for solutions on 2 things:
1) A way to uninstall, then re-install remotely. I know there is an uninstall.app, but I need to get this in a script format to push it. Unless there is a way to push an uninstall.app.
2) Why is it installing, but not enrolling into Crashplan?~~

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chris
Valued Contributor
1) A way to uninstall, then re-install remotely. I know there is an uninstall.app, but I need to get this in a script format to push it. Unless there is a way to push an uninstall.app.

There is an uninstall script in the app bundle at

/Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/Uninstall.app/Contents/Resources/uninstall.sh

you should be able to call that using "Execute command"

Any hints in the logs at /Library/Logs/CrashPlan?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Chris
Valued Contributor

There is an uninstall script in the app bundle at

/Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/Uninstall.app/Contents/Resources/uninstall.sh

you should be able to call that using "Execute command"

Any hints in the logs at /Library/Logs/CrashPlan?

bbot
Contributor

Thanks. I setup a new policy to use the uninstall script found in the uninstall.app, then cache the custom installer and reinstall.

Crashplan logs told me it was adding the local administrator instead of the user account. I changed the last -1 command to pull the user from the loginwindow plist instead and it is working much better.

Thanks!