Universal Type server 6 clients going offline and then reconnecting.

BGoldman
New Contributor

Hello there, are there any experts here that administer Universal Type server?
We have been having clients going off line ever since we upgraded to Server version 6. We have upgraded the server to 6 cores and 16gb of ram. The CPU's and ram have very low utilization. We think it maybe the sync to the font server is set to check in every 20 minutes causing the time outs.

Anyone have any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7

gskibum
Contributor III

Are you saying the clients lose their network connection entirely? Or something else like the connection between the server & clients?

Last summer I gained a new client that uses UTS 6. I did a brand new build of their server from scratch, then installed UTS 6. This included stripping all ACLs on the data volume and setting them new. The server has been a mess in spite of UTS 6 being the only third party product installed. Clients get disconnected regularly.

I did notice that UTS 6 claimed ownership of all the shares after I installed it. Don't know why, or if this is a part of the problem.

However I threw up my arms and set in motion the changeover to a competing product. After a solid test the competing product was purchased and I go live this weekend. Tomorrow I will be at this location and will dig up a screen shot for you to see the ACEs created by UTS 6.

BGoldman
New Contributor

We loose connection between the server and the client. It only happens since we upgraded the server to version 6.

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

Have you put UTS in debug mode to enable verbose logging. That would give you an indication as to what is happening during that time?

Have tried to adjusted the sync times on a test system to see if that has any affects on the issue for the Better or Worse?

If I recall correctly UTS uses Tomcat. I would make sure the memory you want allocated to TomCat is configured correctly on the system. That way the JVM UTS runs in has enough resources to handle the load on the server. The JVM resources have been a long standing issue with UTS since UTS 3.

BGoldman
New Contributor

Hello Shaun,

Yes we have put UTS in debug mode and created logs that we sent to Extensis. We are waiting to hear back from them on a possible cause. I going to try changing the sync times on the clients that are having the issues to see if this takes care of the problem. We have made sure that memory was allocated to the TomCat and added 2 additional CPU's to our server for a total of 6.

PF-Admin
New Contributor II

Hi all
Did anyone manage to resolve this? I am experiencing exactly the same issues in our environment.

BGoldman
New Contributor

Hello Jon,

We resolved the issue by changing when the machines checked in to sync with the font server. We had it set for every 2 hours. Changed in to once a day, resolved the time out issues.

How many clients users are connecting to the server?

PF-Admin
New Contributor II

Thanks for getting back to me. We only have 50 clients and weirdly the server seems more than capable of handling it as memory / processor usage is very low. To be fair however, we were still using the default setting of syncing every 5 mins so have just changed to an hour and will see if anything improves. It seems strange as we have been running fine in this way for many years until upgrading to 6.0.