Scripting Adobe Updates

monosodium
Contributor

Hello All,

I had a self-service action for updating Adobe use RUM (Remote Update Manager), but with 10.11 this simple script no longer works. I am now trying to create some logic to run a script from one location if on 10.11, otherwise run from the default location.

Any suggestions for how to do this? I tried using sw_vers -productVersion in combination with an if then else statement, but I think the syntax was off for the if then statement.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

mikeh
Contributor II

RUM's default installation location was /usr/sbin, which is protected by System Integrity Protection in 10.11.x. It's possible that RUM is no longer there. Download the updated version from Adobe: RUM download link. You might need to edit your self-service action to change the path reference.

Hope that helps!

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

post your script that doesn't work so we can see why it doesn't work and offer solutions to fix it

rickwhois
Contributor

try this out. you might need to change the file paths to suit your situation

#!/bin/bash
FILE="/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/CCP/utilities/RemoteUpdateManager/RemoteUpdateManager"
FILE2="/usr/local/bin/RemoteUpdateManager"

if [ -f "$FILE" ];
then
    "$FILE"
else 
    if [ -f "$FILE2" ];
    then
        "$FILE2"
    else
    echo "Adobe Remote Update Manager in not configured"
    fi
fi

monosodium
Contributor

Yeah I accidentally deleted the old script or I would just post it. @rickwhois your script is pretty close to what I need. How would I run the command specifying a channel id?

EG:

RemoteUpdateManager --channelIds=AdobePremierePro-9.0.0-Trial

Can I just append that to the "$FILE" in the script?

rickwhois
Contributor

@monosodium i dont know the actual commands to run for specific chanell but essentially, yes! something like this should work... (might need tweaking)

#!/bin/bash
FILE="/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/CCP/utilities/RemoteUpdateManager/RemoteUpdateManager"

if [ -f "$FILE" ];
then
    "$FILE --channelIds=AdobePremierePro-9.0.0-Trial"
else 
    if [ -f "$FILE2" ];
    then
        "$FILE2 --channelIds=AdobePremierePro-9.0.0-Trial"
    else
    echo "Adobe Remote Update Manager is not configured"
    fi
fi

monosodium
Contributor

@rickwhois Thanks for the help so far! I got the script working via the way that you suggested and have now tweaked it a bit to make it more end-user friendly, and I also wanted to be able to hand it the channelID but am getting syntax errors. I am apparently not a great coder...

Anyway, here is what I have so far if you see anything:

#!/bin/bash

if [ -f "$FILE" ];
then
    "$FILE" --channelIds=$4
else 
    if [ -f "$FILE2" ];
    then
       "$FILE2" --channelIds=$4
else
    if [ $? -eq 2 ]
    then
        sudo jamf displayMessage -message "This individual updater was not successful. Please run the 'Update All Adobe CC Apps' self-service action to download any dependencies that might be needed."
else
    echo "Adobe Remote Update Manager is not configured. Please download Adobe Remote Update Manager from Self-Service to continue."
    sudo jamf displayMessage -message "Adobe Remote Update Manager is not configured. Please download Adobe Remote Update Manager from Self-Service to continue."
    exit 3
    fi
fi

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

You're missing a trailing fi

Corrected script:

#!/bin/bash

if [ -f "$FILE" ];
then
    "$FILE" --channelIds=$4
else 
    if [ -f "$FILE2" ];
    then
       "$FILE2" --channelIds=$4
    else
        if [ $? -eq 2 ]
        then
            sudo jamf displayMessage -message "This individual updater was not successful. Please run the 'Update All Adobe CC Apps' self-service action to download any dependencies that might be needed."
        else
            echo "Adobe Remote Update Manager is not configured. Please download Adobe Remote Update Manager from Self-Service to continue."
            sudo jamf displayMessage -message "Adobe Remote Update Manager is not configured. Please download Adobe Remote Update Manager from Self-Service to continue."
            exit 3
        fi
    fi
fi