VMware Fusion 8 with win7 VM deployment via SSP

mulcahyaudio
New Contributor

Hey peeps,

so i have been struggling with this for a few days i downloaded VMware fusion 8 > show package contents> library > deploy Vmware fusion> show package contents > 00 fusion folder> inserted .app and VM and the installer wont install.. over and overi have redownloaded and the installer keeps failing.. any suggestions im on EL Cap 10.11.3.... anyone have this working?

5 REPLIES 5

mulcahyaudio
New Contributor

really.... no one? hello? bueller.. any ideas?

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@Colin_Mulcahy did you follow the knowledge base article found here from VMWare?

mulcahyaudio
New Contributor

Yes step by step.. failed every time... reimaged the machine (only one i have for testing) tried it again from scratch... failed... no luck.. have you tried this? cause i cant figure out what im doing wrong and i also cant confirm that anyone has actually got it working this way

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

@Colin_Mulcahy let's take a few steps here. can you share the config file you used (strip out the license key)? also, can you try deploying ONLY Fusion (no VMs). does that deploy successfully?

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@Colin_Mulcahy I built it based on the instructions and it didn't work until I cleared the extended attribute to allow the installer to get past GateKeeper. I ran:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /path/to/custom/vmware/installer

I've only ran the installer I haven't deployed it using Casper yet. The installer prior to removing the extended attribute wouldn't run by simply double-clicking on it. It does now and I would expect it should deploy fine in Casper.

Edit: By the way, thanks for mentioning your issue. I've been meaning to do this but just haven't gotten around to trying it. Your problem gave me a reason to give it a shot.

Edit 2: I'm embarrassed to say that when I said it didn't work the first time I tried deploying it prior to removing the extended attribute, I was wrong. I was looking at the wrong test machine. I have two test machines side by side and I looked at the wrong one. Ultimately, I don't think you would have to remove the extended attribute to get the installer to install using Casper. But I don't imagine it would hurt anything.