Can't start Tomcat7 after 9.81 - 9.82 upgrade

MattCrawford
New Contributor III

Just upgraded our JSS from 9.81 to 9.82 but after a reboot of the server (which the installer said to do) the Tomcat7 service is not starting and manually trying to start it creates an error that says it couldn't be started.

Anyone else had this issue?

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MattCrawford
New Contributor III

Thanks everyone.
Got a nice call from JAMF support who walked me through the fix.

Apparently the Windows installer is using old code that is no longer actually supported by Microsoft anymore and it's that that can cause the a problem.
Remove and reinstall the JSS using command prompt and 'msiexec /i' and copying backup config and database files solved the problem

Matt

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Often something unhappy about the config file. The logs should tell you pretty clearly. What OS are you running the JSS on?

jebS
New Contributor III

I've seen this happen before. - wound up re-installing tomcat

RLR
Valued Contributor

I would check the logs. I had an issue with Tomcat before and it turned out to be Java.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

If JSS is windows, check the Java variables too.
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=348

MattCrawford
New Contributor III

Thanks everyone.
Got a nice call from JAMF support who walked me through the fix.

Apparently the Windows installer is using old code that is no longer actually supported by Microsoft anymore and it's that that can cause the a problem.
Remove and reinstall the JSS using command prompt and 'msiexec /i' and copying backup config and database files solved the problem

Matt

scottb
Honored Contributor

So that begs the question, why are JAMF using code that MS isn't supporting on new JSS installers?
Or am I misunderstanding the issue because we have Win 2008 R2 servers running our JSS as well and we upgraded from 9.72 to 9.82 without issue.

Aziz
Valued Contributor

I'm wondering the same thing @Crawford

Our upgrade rom 9.81 to 9.82 went without a hitch on Windows Sever 2012 R2.

drhoten
Contributor II

Hi @Crawford

You are correct, the current installer is using an older approach for running custom code in Windows Installers; namely VBScript.

Microsoft actually banned the use of VB Script within their MS Office installers quite some time ago due to a variety of issues, including not being able to place nicely with security products. So, while VBScript is still supported (cc @scottb) there are better ways to run custom code within the installer.

Look for a completely re-written Windows Installer for the JSS in 9.9, that no longer uses VBScript.

If you haven't had a chance to test it out yet, be sure download and try out the new installer included with 9.9 Beta 1 and let us know what you think.

Doug

scottb
Honored Contributor

@drhoten Thanks much for the explanation, Doug. Good news on the installer upgrade.

MattCrawford
New Contributor III

Thanks @drhoten explained much more comprehensively than I ever could :)