Macintosh HD icon flickering

Sachin_Parmar
Contributor

Has anyone experienced an issue where the Macintosh HD icon flickers?

Mac on OS X El Capitan

Seen this article but don't have Google Drive client locally installed on the Mac, article

Sachin

9 REPLIES 9

macbentosh
New Contributor III

Got any configuration profiles for the Finder?

Sachin_Parmar
Contributor

@macbentosh In fact I do...

3880b88c2bd54817ade6d53afbd29cb2

What would this be doing to cause the flicker?

At first I thought it was a kernel panic or a Finder crash but I can't pinpoint it for sure in the console logs/

jonathan_lee
New Contributor

Hi @Sachin_Parmar

I'm seeing this symptom on a JSS client Retina MacBook Pro running 10.11.3
I also noticed the OS lagging quite a bit e.g bringing up spotlight using command-space takes more than a minute.
Furthermore, though I have restricted only specific apps, it seems that all apps on the dock are restricted, except on the Management Account.

Disk utility First Aid gives me a green tick, so I'm guessing it's a software issue...

Any ideas?

Sachin_Parmar
Contributor

@jonathan_lee What's the Mac doing at the time, Can you isolate the logs in Console or pinpoint a process in Activity monitor at the time of the lagging?

For the flickering I'll reach out to JAMF to see what they say.

MrRoboto
Contributor III

Did you resolve this issue? I am experiencing the same desktop icons blinking issue and suspect it's caused by managing 'Show these items on the desktop' via a Configuration Profile.

gskibum
Contributor III

@MrRoboto

I've been experiencing this for several months too. Possibly a year. It seemed to coincide with horsing around with an iBeacon. I nuked all that but the problem was not resolved.

I do have a Configuration Profile that has a 'Show these items on the desktop' payload. Your suspicions very well may be valid.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

I've also been seeing this for at least a year. I did also assume it was related to our Finder configuration profile, but we'd rather keep the settings and let users be annoyed than not have it in place.

gskibum
Contributor III

The thing about my flashing HD icon is I have seen it only on my own daily workhorse MBP, and have heard no reports of it from any users. I also haven't seen it on any of my other Macs I use myself.

That's part of why I was thinking it was due to the iBeacon testing. I scoped nothing but my own daily workhorse MBP for the iBacon testing, while the Finder configuration profile has been scoped far and wide for a long time.

But I don't believe I have any active remnants of the iBeacon testing lingering. So who knows!

galionschools
Contributor

We get Macintosh HD flickering with a Finder Configuration Payload on another MDM we use for some multi use Macs we have in carts(they would be in JAMF but it's not in the budget ;) ). So it doesn't look like this issue is restricted to just JAMF Pro.