Is it possible to manually add packages to the OS X Caching server?

msnowdon
Contributor

We are currently blocking the Apple update sites with our firewall to prevent users upgrading their iPads to IOS 9.3. However there are many that I want upgraded to 9.2.1. Im downloading all the .ipsw files. Can I manually add these to the caching server?

Thanks

Mark

12 REPLIES 12

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

http://help.apple.com/serverapp/mac/5.1/#/apd74DDE89F-08D2-4E0A-A5CD-155E345EFB83
In short, if I'm reading that right if one device has downloaded 9.2.1 on the network then it should already be cached. Of course forcing iOS devices to get 9.2.1 is a different story. Caching server will not do that.

millersc
Valued Contributor

@bpavlov is correct. On the first request of a new Apple package, it's side loaded into the Cache server. All subsequent requests are then sent from Apple back to your local Cache server.

Currently after 4 days up from an update to the OS, I've served up 700GB. Excellent way to save bandwidth.

davidhiggs
Contributor III

I haven't used it, but try this tool:
CacheWarmer

gskibum
Contributor III

@davidhiggs

Awesome! Thank you for sharing.

bakerds
New Contributor

I bought CacheWarmer for two caching servers, and it works as advertised. You can even have it pre-download IPSW files.

I have it configured to download iOS for all models and Mac OS updates, but be warned -- CacheWarmer generates a massive amount of network traffic as soon as Apple releases software. When Apple seeded the updated iOS 9.3 build yesterday, each of my servers downloaded over 200 GB of incremental upgrade packages for every version of iOS and every variety of iOS device.

I have one server scheduled to check for new packages hourly (default) and the other only checks in the evening, so one server can download all the files from Apple and then pass them on to the other later that day.

msnowdon
Contributor

The problem I am trying to solve is that my network admin blocked access to the Apple update sites in order to prevent users from installing IOS 9.3. However I do want them all up to 9.2.1 and was trying to see if I could get 9.2.1 on the caching server.

I need an easier way to get everyone on 9.2.1 than updating everyone using iTunes and the .ipsw files. I have seen zip files of all the incremental updates for each version of IOS and every device as you mentioned @bakerds . Would I be able to download those and extract them to the caching folder on the server?

Thanks for all the ideas

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@msnowdon why the 9.3 block? Apple did issue a fix for older devices. (Or issued a new 9.3 for them).

AFAIK, with some Apple URL's blocked... Caching might not work as client contacts Apple for updates & is then directed to the caching server.

What happens if these devices go off WAN?

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

@bentoms all good points. And this is all assuming that Apple hasn't unsigned the 9.2.1 update in which case you might not even be able to install it even if you did have the .ipsw for restore.

msnowdon
Contributor

@bentoms Most of the devices are cart devices but we know they can update them if they took them home. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind the block other than owning a lot of older iPads. I think they are worried about breaking them but as you mentioned Apple came out with fixes for them.

And I think you are correct about the clients not working if we block the update sites.

Im going to do my best to convince them just to go with 9.3 and understand that some features may not be available on the old devices,

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Isn't Apple still working on fixing iOS 9.3 bug where some links in Safari don't work?

iOSGenius
New Contributor III

Great info everyone - so i updated all to 9.2.1 prior to release of 9.3 we blocked it via firewall except 11 devices had 9.1 some updated automatically from OSX Server to 9.2.1 and some didn't since 9.2.1 is still signed i had to place them in recovery mode - and downloaded the ipsw from my source - https://ipsw.me very simple select device (if not sure check serial number with apple) then select device and select iOS Version - these are original ipsw and never had an issue with them. Downloaded for my devices and works with no issue, incase you need to download a specific ipsw this is my resource - as for that paid software looks interesting but im ok for now.

As for fixing iOS 9.3 we have not upgraded because of the bug plus having old devices -

i suggest stay with 9.2.1 because when 9.3 gets updated you will have to redeploy time and bandwidth all over again. having 1k devices or more is alot of time -

msnowdon
Contributor

@iOSGenius , I wish I was as lucky as you. We have over 600 devices not up to 9.2.1 and they span over 10 different device ids. Im hoping 9.3 gets stable soon so I can go straight to it. From what I understand, you need to manually connect to each machine to update them with ipsw files using iTunes, correct?