Bulk action to change extension attribute

Mikeness
New Contributor

Hey everyone, I looked around and didn't see this question asked before.

We have static groups with hundreds of devices. These devices join and leave smart groups when certain extension attributes are changed for their record. I am wondering, is it possible to add a custom bulk action to change an extension attribute on all devices in a static group?

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Are the Extension Attributes statically entered, like a text field that is filled in during a Recon or at enrollment or something? If so, it should be possible to update them all through the API, but it would need to be scripted and would still be a lengthy process (though more automated)
If they are Extension Attributes that get populated via a script, although still possible to update these, again using the API, of course the value could and would likely get overwritten when the device next submits inventory. So I'm not sure how reliable that will be in the long run.
Also, by "devices", are we talking about iOS devices or Macs? Or both?

Taking a step back, it might be better to look at another approach here for moving devices into and out of groups than using EA values. If you need to do something like this regularly, I would explore some other workflows perhaps.

Mikeness
New Contributor

Sure, so a bit more information then, we are making a simple yes or no switch on our iOS devices. When "yes" the device will lock to an app, when "no" the device will unlock. We have configuration profiles that set the lock when "yes", and add them to an excluded smart group when "no".

Our lower tier support doesn't have rights to add exclusions to configuration profiles so this was an idea for a workaround.

Graeme
Contributor

Would Casper Focus solve your issue? You can make a class from the static group. It will present all the devises in a list that can then be selected and locked to the app.

Regards
Graeme