Need high level guidance on Casper Admin - JSS - FDS

mlitton
New Contributor II

I am having difficulty understanding the relationship between CA-JSS-FDS. Right now...

1. The JSS is on a Mac mini in a colo-facilty.
  2. The FDS is on a Mac mini on-site.
  3. I open CA and login to the JSS
  4. CA should 'mount' the FDS that the JSS tells it to go?

How does CA know where to upload the packages?

Q1: If the FDS is only accessible from the LAN, will I need to be connected to the network over VPN for CA to 'see' the FDS?

Any guidance is most appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

roiegat
Contributor III

When you open up Casper Admin for the first time, it's asks for the url of your JSS. It then uses the credentials to log into the JSS. It asks for the main distribution point location and attempts to mount it. If you have multiple distriubtion points, only the main one will mount.

At this point Casper Admin should be open. You can drag and drop a package into it. But that pakcage will only be on the main distribution point. If you have other distribution points, you'll need to replicate the files to them using Casper Admin (or if you have a lot, you can script it).

Keep in mind that when you add a package, it doesn't have a default category so make sure you assign it one.

So in theory if your VPN can see the share, then it can mount it. Some companies have servers in the DMZ, so they can access files, but I doubt they would have the main server externally facing.