How do I confirm the MDM Framework has been removed?

duffcalifornia
Contributor

Hello

My org is using Casper to decrease the amount of hands-on time it takes to image machines that will belong to the end-user. Because of that, they want my last steps to be removing the MDM profile and framework. I can remove the profile remotely through the JSS and have a script that should remove the framework. What can I look for that will confirm the framework has been removed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@duffcalifornia have a look at this thread. It gives you the command you will need to issue at the very end of your imaging process. Keep in mind there will be a record in the JSS for all computers that you enroll with Casper Imaging. Not sure if you will want that in your situation.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

iJake
Valued Contributor

Your last step of setting up a machine is to REMOVE mdm and jamf agent? I'm confused.

duffcalifornia
Contributor

@iJake Our school is facilitating a student laptop purchase program. We worked with vendors to negotiate better prices, we install standard software, and we facilitate warranty repairs. The student tells us which of our offered models they want, we order it, image it, and then hand it off with the idea that the only time we'll see it after we hand it to them is if there's a hardware issue.

Due to politics, our org purchased Casper in order to decrease the amount of hands on time it takes my team to image these machines. While we hope to expand it's use to other departments and use it more traditionally, the imaging of student laptops is currently it's ONLY purpose. Since the laptops are not and will not be owned by the org, higher ups are requesting, since Casper is technically MDM, that as many signs of Casper be removed prior to delivering these laptops to their owners.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@duffcalifornia I know this may not be so helpful to you, but if the sole purpose of Casper in your org is to image Macs and not have them managed, then you guys are really using the wrong toolset. The main reason for using Casper Suite is to (in the case of Macs), get them under management, whether that means nuke and pave imaging, light touch or no-imaging (using the OS and applying software installs on top), or just something like DEP enrollment. The end result is a Mac that is under some level of management, even if its only for inventory purposes and nothing else.

For what you need to do here, I suggest looking at some of the existing tools out there like DeployStudio or Imagr (sp?) as these are not tied to a management console, so they can be used to image a machine, apply patches and software and then hand it off to someone as a set up system with no management framework on them.

I'm not saying its impossible to use Casper for what you need, but it seems silly to me. Like swimming upstream or against the tide.
I get that the decision may not have been yours here, but if your org doesn't really care HOW you get to the end result, only that its done, I'd look at some of the other products for this purpose, and continue to push to get Macs under management so you can actually use your organizations investment.

duffcalifornia
Contributor

@mm2270

We will use Casper to it's fullest in the not-horribly-distant future. It just took the rollout of this laptop program and us being able to say "Look at how much time this will save!" for us to have the hook that got the Powers That Be to agree to purchase the software. Once that rollout is successful and we get some buy in from some key users, we will roll it out to our actual departments within the year, proving the software's worth.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@duffcalifornia have a look at this thread. It gives you the command you will need to issue at the very end of your imaging process. Keep in mind there will be a record in the JSS for all computers that you enroll with Casper Imaging. Not sure if you will want that in your situation.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@duffcalifornia Yes, I get your point. Its good to see you're trying to convince the powers that be to use the product more fully. Still, I can't help but feel you're currently fighting against one of the core functions of the suite by having it remove its own framework after imaging. But, it should be possible nevertheless.

FWIW, as a side anecdote, at one time some years ago, JAMF used to sell an imaging only product, called Imaging Suite. The Imaging Suite allowed you to actually do what you're after. Use the products imaging capability, but not actually do management with the Macs after. They showed up in a slimmed down version of the JSS with the date imaged and the computer name and little else. You could see some basic hardware info on each Mac, but not full inventory data.
I went from using the standalone Composer to build packages, then to using Imaging Suite. When we purchased the full Casper Suite, we simply needed to plug in the full suite activation code into our existing Mac JSS, and suddenly a lot more information and capabilities were available to us in the JSS. So it was a nice transition into the product, going from packaging, to imaging only to full management later.

I don't think JAMF sells Imaging Suite anymore (nor their other "Recon Suite" product) At least I don't see any mention of it on their site anywhere. So you'll need to work through this in a manual way I guess.
Good luck in convincing management (and the users) to use the full suite. There are plenty of resources here to help with that convincing part. For example, Self Service on the Mac can sometimes be leveraged quite effectively as the proverbial 'carrot' to get buy in.