JSS and Computer Configuration Profiles

devlinford
New Contributor III

Hey all...

Newbie question....I have scoured the support documents and cannot seem to figure out what I am doing wrong (I assume it has to be something simple).

I have created a Computer Config Profile....I have created a Static Group (1 computer in it) and even tried a Smart Group (same 1 computer in it). When I add either the Static or Smart group to the scope of the configuration profile it all appears to be in order.....Except, that computer doesn't get the configuration profile. Whats also weird is Smart/Static groups aside, when I try to just add it to a Specific Computer, I cannot find the computer in question in the list...

The computer which happens to be a VM (could be related?) is definitely in Casper, searchable, checking in every 15 mins, etc.

Check out this Computer Config Group list (attached), that shows there is no pending, failed or completed computers?

55a4fb5c5e03409bbaca8554acfb7a27

My Security settings are in order (attached).

636b929c07dd4171918ee72090037b63

Anyone know what might be wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

Make sure your VM Is set to have a 12 character serial number set for your VM. If it is longer it won't work properly with config profile management.

If you are using VMware Fusion here are directions: http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/10/how-to-change-hardware-serial-number.html

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Matt
Valued Contributor

Can you screen shot your scoping and the Configuration Profile, also might be helpful to screen shot the computer record.

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

Make sure your VM Is set to have a 12 character serial number set for your VM. If it is longer it won't work properly with config profile management.

If you are using VMware Fusion here are directions: http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/10/how-to-change-hardware-serial-number.html

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

Of course though you would manually edit the config settings file inside the .vmx file. But the key you need should be in the link above.

Matt
Valued Contributor

Can you screen shot your scoping and the Configuration Profile, also might be helpful to screen shot the computer record.

devlinford
New Contributor III

Hey all...

...I'm really a newbie. So much so, that I didn't even set my Email Pref Settings, so I had no way to know that you guys were responding, or that my moderated post even went thru (Perhaps I need to submit a feature request...If anyone posts something I can't imagine an instance where they wouldn't want follow up emails...I digress).

Anyways...@chriscollins , your post helped significantly. Once I adjusted the VM config to have a shorter 12 character serial, it instantly grabbed my configuration profile and applied it...

Thanks so much..!

PS: Thanks @Matt for the persistence....Sorry to leave you hanging.