Removed computer from Managed VPP App scope, but app was not removed

powellbc
Contributor II

We finally started testing the waters of VPP managed Mac App Store apps. I deployed Slack to a test OS X client not signed into the Mac App Store and it installed immediately without issue. I then removed the computer from the scope and expected the app to be removed. It was not.

Is this because Slack is a free app or is something else possibly going on?

7 REPLIES 7

justinjanson
New Contributor

To my knowledge this is how VPP works. If you revoke a VPP app for a user, it doesn't get removed from the device. But the user won't be able to run updates for that app anymore because he or she doesn't "own" the app no longer.

pat_best
Contributor III

I think that if you drop the device from management, the app will get pulled ( at least I think for iOS devices)

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

@powellbc is correct, the app should be pulled from the OS X computer if the computer is removed from the scope. Why it doesn't, I have no idea. Maybe would be good to contact JAMF, see what they say.

powellbc
Contributor II

The JSS reports that the license is no longer in use when I look in the Global Management → VPP Accounts → Account Name → Content. Until a Slack update comes out I won't know if that is restricted as described above.

Meesterroboto
New Contributor

Can confirm that I am experiencing the same issue. Literally the same situation. Testing VPP for the first time with slack. Can install when computer is in scope and VPP shows a single license is in use. Remove the computer from scope and VPP states zero licenses in use but app remains on the computer. Curious Because I am new to VPP and managed licenses, I am not sure if this is expected behavior or not.

Sachin_Parmar
Contributor

@powellbc Typically Apple give you a 30-day grace period after an app license has been revoked.

Step 4. Revoke and reassign apps to different users. When apps you’ve assigned are no longer needed by a user, you can revoke and reassign them to different users. The user gets a 30-day grace period to continue to use the app, save data, or buy a personal copy. If the app was deployed as a managed app with MDM for iOS, the administrator has the additional option of removing the app and all data immediately. In this case, it’s a best practice to give users some notice or a grace-period before removing apps from their device.

Taken from here

uurazzle
Contributor II

We have a blog post about the issue...

https://apple.lib.utah.edu/mdm-piracy/