AD DSCL Question, Interesting...

Matt
Valued Contributor

Hey guys quick question thats blowing my brains up. I have a path to an Active Directory group but for some reason dscl does not see it. If I do

#!/bin/sh
dscl . -read /Active Directory/DOMAIN/All Domains/

The group is simply not there. Now if I go into the Directory Utility and I scroll to the same directory above and do a search I find the group. The AppleMetaNodeLocation is in a place dscl doesn't see. Is there another way to grab this data? I am writing a script to grant rights based on membership and my current script, which is working well, depends on dscl grabbing the info.

Any help is appreciated I have just about everything information wise in the Directory Utility.

7 REPLIES 7

cvgs
Contributor II

Hi Matt,

The dot specifies the local domain; try "dscl localhost -list /" instead of "dscl . -list /".

mroiger
New Contributor III

Hi,

I specify the domain path before the -read i.e.

/usr/bin/dscl "/Active Directory/DOMAIN/All Domains" -read . RealName

Matt
Valued Contributor

Ive done it with the dot, without, forwards, and backwards. Im getting results from AD they just arent the same.

sean
Valued Contributor

Taking a step back, what happens if you go into interactive mode and try to cd to the directory and then type read?

# dscl
Entering interactive mode... (type "help" for commands)
 > cd Active Directory/DOMAIN/All Domains/
/Active Directory/DOMAIN/All Domains > read

talkingmoose

You want the list command not read for this.

The read command reads the properties of whatever you've specified. You've specified "All Domains", which really won't tell you much.

My NetBIOS domain is TALKINGMOOSE, so to get a list of NetBIOS domains, try this:

dscl "/Active Directory/"  -read / SubNodes
SubNodes: TALKINGMOOSE

To read deeper in the structure, you need to first verify whether you've selected "Allow authentication from any domain in the forest". Check this in Directory Utility found in /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications". Double-click the Active Directory service and look under the Administrative tab.

If that option is enabled, you'll need to append "All Domains" to the path for your searches:

"/Active Directory/TALKINGMOOSE/All Domains/"

If that option is not enabled, you'll need to append the specific name of your Active Directory domain to the path for your searches:

"/Active Directory/TALKINGMOOSE/talkingmoose.pvt/"

Knowing, the correct path, you can now list groups:

dscl "/Active Directory/TALKINGMOOSE/talkingmoose.pvt/"  -list /Groups
TALKINGMOOSEDomain Admins
TALKINGMOOSEDomain Computers
TALKINGMOOSEDomain Controllers
TALKINGMOOSEDomain Guests
TALKINGMOOSEDomain Users
TALKINGMOOSEEnterprise Admins

Or you can read the properties of a specific Group:

dscl "/Active Directory/TALKINGMOOSE/talkingmoose.pvt/"  -read "/Groups/Domain Admins"
dsAttrTypeNative:adminCount: 1
dsAttrTypeNative:distinguishedName:
 CN=Domain Admins,CN=Users,DC=talkingmoose,DC=pvt
dsAttrTypeNative:dSCorePropagationData: 20150823042856.0Z 20150823041346.0Z 16010101000416.0Z
dsAttrTypeNative:groupType: -2147483646
dsAttrTypeNative:instanceType: 4
dsAttrTypeNative:isCriticalSystemObject: TRUE
dsAttrTypeNative:member: CN=Administrator,CN=Users,DC=talkingmoose,DC=pvt
dsAttrTypeNative:memberOf:
 CN=Denied RODC Password Replication Group,CN=Users,DC=talkingmoose,DC=pvt
 CN=Administrators,CN=Builtin,DC=talkingmoose,DC=pvt
dsAttrTypeNative:name:
 Domain Admins

If you're interested in AD accounts then use "/Users" instead of "/Groups". Likewise, if you're interested in AD computers then use "/Computers".

user-cJqBbrGZzs
New Contributor

dscl "/Active Directory/DOMAIN_NAME/All Domains/" -list /Groups
Returns only 1000 groups, how to get more

patgmac
Contributor III

@user-cJqBbrGZzs dscl (and other AD tools on macOS) are limited to 1000 records, as you've found. You'll need to use other tools to do lookups that large. I don't know offhand which tools do not have this limitation, but I would try ldapsearch.