Global JSS Extension Attribute Variables

tomr
New Contributor III

I know it might not always be practical but does anyone know if there is a way to assign a value to a variable that is shared by all extension attribute scripts? For example if I have multiple EAs performing checks based on the installed client OS version it seems redundant to have to check for the OS in each EA. IT's not overly resource intensive but seems like a practical way to cut down recon times.

3 REPLIES 3

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Sadly, there are not global attributes like that. In the past, I've written data to /Library/Preferences/todd.plist and then I can read that in with whatever EA or script I'm using.

On the other side, getting the OS version isn't that hard, but I understand your thought with other criteria. I recommend writing it to a data file on the local computer.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Is there a way to write Extension Attribute values that exist only in the JSS (i.e. manually entered) to a file on the computer??

tia,

chris

[edit] I actually mean: other than using the API to collect the EA.

tomr
New Contributor III

I'm not sure what you want to do.

Extension attributes are essentially just scripts. So any script you can run locally on the client to collect information , such as a software version, you can run as an extension attribute and use the information gathered to create inventory reports or smart groups.

You want to write information that is only in the JSS (like JSS computer ID) back to the client? To what purpose?